Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM

14 posts, read 35,525 times

Advertisements

Where is your favorite place to go for BBQ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 AM

355 posts, read 958,110 times
We should probably stick to less controversial topics, like religion, abortion, or gun control.

That said, I like Allen & Son's (the one north of Chapel Hill) and the Pit. While the Pit is more or too chi-chi for some as far as que joints go (would you like to pair a nice Spanish rose with your sandwich?), I think they are among the more consistently good places for the chopped pork que.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Randy's Pizza!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Bo_Bo brazil's cheesey burger place...

IF and that is capital IF, you are serious, Back Yard BBQ in Durham on NC 55 is da dest..

Also, try disussing gay marriage if you want a simpler discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
We should probably stick to less controversial topics, like religion, abortion, or gun control.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat7 View Post
Where is your favorite place to go for BBQ?
My favorite place to go for BBQ is the search function of this forum. . . . . . . where I can find a gajillion threads where people asked this very same question.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Unfortunately the Triangle isn't known for good barbecue anymore. I usually drive east for barbecue... ending up at the Skylight Inn(Pete Jones) in Ayden.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
Amen.

Best pork I've had so far is Backyard BBQ Pit in Durham on 55.

They also have the best catfish, collard greens and mac and cheese. Seriously, the collards are to die for. I don't care for their ribs, brisket nor Brunswick Stew, which is too sweet. Haven't tried their chicken yet.

I like the pork at Hog Heaven in Durham, but it isn't smoked, and I do like some smoke. We still eat there a lot; LOVE their BBQ chicken, and when their Chicken and Dumplings are fresh they're hard to beat.

And I even like the BBQ at the BBQ Lodge on Capital Blvd. As I remember I like their slaw a lot too, very yellow and not at all creamy - unusual, but I like it. I think I like the Brunswick stew there.

I've been meaning to try Allen and Son forever. Maybe we'll go this weekend.

There's Dickey's, which is not NC BBQ, and is a chain, but they make a really good brisket and Brunswick stew, and the pork is not half bad.

There's Danny's in RTP; great brisket, really good Brunswick stew, great baked beans. The pork is OK, but get the brisket.

The Q Shack in Durham - been too long. I remember not liking the beans at all, but I think the pork was good. I remember not thinking I would be in a hurry to come back, but I wasn't angry or anything, it was just OK.

The Pit - meh; it's very good, but I'd only go if someone else was paying.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 PM

464 posts, read 1,044,058 times
Now that Big Al's BBQ food truck invested in a brick and mortar location on 401 and Forrestville we havent gone anywhere else since.

They dont do traditional Eastern Carolina BBQ and prefer to leave the meat as is so you get the rub and smoke flavor. He does have about 8 or so sauces that you can choose to add if you wish to please anyone's fancy from sweet red sauce, to mustard based, to vinegar based and everything in between.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 PM

650 posts, read 929,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Amen.

Best pork I've had so far is Backyard BBQ Pit in Durham on 55.

The Pit - meh; it's very good, but I'd only go if someone else was paying.
For work yesterday I was looking for lunch and heard a lot about Backyard BBQ. What I just wanted was a BBQ sandwich from the take out window. So I threw caution to the wind. What I didn't want was long winded sit down meal and have to tip a waiter. I'm cheap at lunch.

I was very pleasantly surprised. You walk in and order at the counter sort of like Smithfields. The service was very fast. I ended up getting a BBQ plate with two side and hush puppies to go ($6.50). Then as I looked around there were plenty of tables and chairs to be had. I sat right there and ate my lunch and it was great.

Very good BBQ. They have smoke houses out back that they cook with real wood. My Favorite place is Allen and Son's but this was right there with them as far as the Q

Old 01-11-2012, 02:44 PM

311 posts, read 887,919 times
Another vote for Big Al's in Rolesville. He has ribs, pork, chicken and delicious smoked turkey. Even our 2 year old eats it up, her favorite is the fried okra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary