Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:03 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,453,020 times

Advertisements

My friend in Virginia has a Taiwanese exchange student staying with her. She is hoping we can go out to a Taiwanese restaurant when they come to visit us for the holidays. (He says it's very different from Chinese.)

Anyone know of a place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 18,950 times
Default Try Super Wok

Super Wok in Cary offers authentic Chinese food but it is not TW.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,156,638 times
My friend Google tells me that Peking Garden in Raleigh is owned by a guy from Taiwan, so maybe there are some Taiwanese off-menu items there. You could call and ask.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 AM

1,683 posts, read 3,453,020 times
Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 PM

17 posts, read 58,873 times
The above post is absolutely correct - there are absolutely no Taiwanese restaurants in the area. 66 in DC is fair; thankfully there are at least a few options there.

In terms of what an exchange student may appreciate, if you happen to be around Durham, the Chinese place (east coast) inside Kroger's at fayettville and 54 will have the best menu she'll truly appreciate. The "real" menu is ALL Chinese. Chapel Hill and Durham have a couple of other places with Chinese menus - that'll get her closer. Raleigh, I'm less familar with, but if there were a real Taiwanese place, we'd be there every week, damn the drive. The one place that claim close closed a few years ago now... even the dim sum places are not as great anymore.

Other more "ethnic" things she may appreciate. Chill bubbles on Franklin st. in Chapel Hill - the flavors aren't very asian, but oh well. Grand Asia supermarket - some of the hot dishes / buns on the weekend will be fair.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 PM

17 posts, read 58,873 times
re: Peking Garden - the food is supposedly N. China per the website. Real Taiwanese food - is very very hard to find in the US, even in areas with relatively high concentrations of Taiwanese. Damn.... now I'm starving.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:46 AM

192 posts, read 438,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanda1 View Post
re: Peking Garden - the food is supposedly N. China per the website. Real Taiwanese food - is very very hard to find in the US, even in areas with relatively high concentrations of Taiwanese. Damn.... now I'm starving.
The owners of Peking Garden and T&C wok are both from Taiwan.

Anyway, what is real Taiwanese food? could you list several must-try Taiwanese dishes so I can order the right dishes when I have chance somewhereelse?
thanks

Old 02-12-2010, 02:11 PM

110 posts, read 456,268 times
Just found out that CT Wok in Morrisville is close to Taiwanese style. Guess it's been open for awhile, just didn't know about it.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:52 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,687,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenerAznX View Post
Just found out that CT Wok in Morrisville is close to Taiwanese style. Guess it's been open for awhile, just didn't know about it.
Interesting, I found the flavors at CT Wok were more Sichuan than Taiwan. I'll try to take a closer look at their menu this weekend.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:16 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,076,092 times
I would like to find a Taiwanese restaurant in the area too. I really miss my stinky tofu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary