Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,663 times

Advertisements

just moved into the area of Durham/Chapel Hill a few months ago. have been shopping around for gyms. everyone seems to recommend "Fitness World", and although it is convenient as far as cost and location, i was not too impressed when i did my free trial there. i'm convinced the whole city of Durham works out there, and they have a ton of rules, including "no dead lifting", which i'm not a fan of.

i'm looking for a gym that has free weight options, and although Fitness World provides some of that, it is only ideal if you enjoy primarily treadmills and weight machines. (and it's busy morning, noon, and night.) thank you for any recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,845,480 times
a) It's January, gyms everywhere are crowded. It'll subside once people's "New Year's Resolutions" wear off In general, they aren't crowded in the mornings.

b) There have been several threads recently in this forum about gyms, if you use the "search forum" function.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 PM

72 posts, read 170,528 times
UNC Wellness Center isn't too far from Fitness World (it's in Meadowmont). They have an indoor track, pool, tons of cardio equipment, and a bunch of free weights.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 AM

520 posts, read 1,017,432 times
Ditto what Francois said about January. I hate this time of year because of all the resolutioners. Just wait it out.... most of them will be gone by February.

Did you look at the YMCA? They have numerous branches in the area. My membership is just for the 3 Durham city ones, but they have another membership level that encompasses many more of the regional branches too. Just about anything you want can be found there (weights, nautilus, aerobic classes, yoga, even childcare if you need it).

People are friendly, staff is knowledgable & I feel the price is reasonable. And I think right now they are offering 1/2 off the joining fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary