Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 PM

63 posts, read 137,274 times

Advertisements

I really need to meet a high caliber PCP or primary care physician, and
preferably one in Raleigh, perhaps linked to UNC, but that is not absolutely essential.

I am on Medicare and actually had an office in Wake Forest decline me as they 'do not accept Medicare' patients on Medicare; and, that bummed me out. BTW, I am on Medicare due to disability (cardiac, arthritis, etc.), not age. I am 61 years old however, but definitely young at heart!

I really prefer a family type doctor who is definitely down to Earth and not only is easy to talk to, but also one who listens and practices with compassion ... not cold, nor elitist in countenance. I enjoy sharp and personable doctors, one who makes you feel that you can discuss anything.

I am hoping that once again this forum will steer me in the right direction.
Please only recommend those who are accepting new patients. As always, I greatly appreciate any and all sincere replies. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 PM

273 posts, read 563,161 times
My primary doctor is Dr. Mitchell Block with E. Brooks Wilkins in Raleigh. He is off Duraleigh Rd and is a great physician. I have never felt rushed and he takes time to answer all my questions, not matter how odd they may seem, lol. Not sure if they take Medicare but worth checking out as he has the personality you describe in what you are looking for.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 PM

63 posts, read 137,274 times
Thank you jbny2076 for the reply.

I will look him up and call his office to inquire. Would you happen to know if he is affiliated
with either UNC or Duke, not that it is essential to know.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM

273 posts, read 563,161 times
I do not believe he is affiliated with either. The main physician Dr. Wilkins is a UNC grad if i recall. But i believe that is the limit to his affiliation.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:29 PM

441 posts, read 1,292,903 times
Rex family Practices Wakefield, not sure about the insurance but they are UNC. My doctor moved there from the Duke office down the road, they do a great deal of testing in this location, labs, scans, and have a mobil MRI trailer on site. Years ago I had to go to Raleigh for this type of testing, now it's in my backyard, have always been treated very good there.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 PM

835 posts, read 2,879,736 times
I can't say enough good about our family doctor, Dr. Cefalu at Village Primary Care in WF. He is caring and attentive and spends a long amount of time at every visit, no matter how minor the reason for being there. He will ponder things and look at every possible side of things and look things up if he needs to in order to make the right treatment or medication choice for your need. He personally calls with lab results, explaining everything. I was literally on the phone with him for over 30 mins. the last time, and he was doing most of the talking, so it wasn't like I was keeping him on the phone. Our teenage boys love him as well. He asks about each member of the family by name every time I go. I was just there yesterday, and he asked about our daughter who had been going through a rough time. We spent half the visit talking about her. Not many doctors do that.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,042,354 times
I have also seen Dr. Cefalu and he was good and very personable my only complaint has been that I was kept waiting an hour! I guess my thought is, if he is going to spend as much time with patients as he does (which i like) then they need to schedule him differently. And, I think he is the only doc in the practice currently taking patients.

Leigh

Old 12-07-2011, 07:23 AM

699 posts, read 1,707,635 times
I've been taking my Mom to UNC family practice on Manning in Chapel Hill. Love it. Much better than previous physician who kept one hand on the prescription pad and the other on the door knob.

The physicians are residents so unlikely she will be seeing the same one next year. But the one she is seeing now takes time, listens, does a thorough exam, and provides terrific medical advice. For example, she questioned each medication and after discussing it with us, encouraged Mom to try discontinuing one medication she had been taking for years, even though she hadn't experienced even a single flare up in all that time. Mom's been off it a month and no trouble.

I couldn't be more pleased. Plus side she can always get into to see a physician the same day. Might not be her primary doctor, but will be someone on that team. Also, the lab is right off the same waiting room, no more running to LabCorps.

Down to earth, solid medical care. So I started going as well.

Another plus is that there are notices up about research UNC is doing on various ailments and how to be part of study.

The downside is the drive. That's hectic.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,743,695 times
Any recommendations for PCP in Cary or Morrisville?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:28 AM

835 posts, read 2,879,736 times
Really? I have never waited longer than it takes for the nurse to do her initial assessment. Dr. Cefalu comes right in afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary