Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:39 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,847,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeheel View Post
Do not pay this ticket. It will cause your license to be suspended. (Yes, I'm serious about that.)

Also, note that DMV will not honor a PJC at certain speeds. If interested, search my prior posts to see an explanation of how PJCs work. There are limits as to how many can be used.

Hire an attorney. You'll get plenty of letters in the mail. But feel free to DM me if you want a referral.

Disclaimer - I am an attorney and have handled thousands of traffic tickets in the triangle in my career; however, neither I nor anyone in my firm handle tickets now. I know several excellent attorneys who do, though.
Can you get it reduced first and then use the PJC? Or once reduced is a PJC not as beneficial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:09 PM

381 posts, read 1,328,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Can you get it reduced first and then use the PJC? Or once reduced is a PJC not as beneficial?
Yes, you can - assuming the DA and judge allow it (DA has to approve reduction and then either consent or not oppose PJC, and then judge decides on PJC).

Of course, a PJC may be completely wasted if you get the speed reduced, depending on what the reduction is. Some reduced speeds may not impact insurance at all, so you're better off saving the PJC in that situation.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM

149 posts, read 207,296 times
I would also recommend talking to an attorney. If it were 15 MPH or fewer, I would just go, plea, pay the reduced fine and the points, and forego the lawyer, but as Mikeheel wrote, going more than 15 MPH is sticky, even with a clean driving record. I would also see what attorneys he recommends as well. I used an attorney when I found myself in a nasty ticket situation, and would not recommend mine. You want an attorney who will listen to you (NOT constantly "speak" to you through an assistant ... actually talk to you), with decent qualifications and a good track record. Just because the handouts you get in the mail look nice doesn't mean the lawyer is worth three cents.

And yes, you might have to use a PJC under the circumstances, but if you can avoid it, do so ... particularly if you have multiple drivers in a household. Those three years can seem awfully long!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 PM

144 posts, read 469,911 times
Thank you all for all the advise!

Some of you asked about the exact location, it was on Louis Stephens Dr in cary, right in front of the library.

I decided to hire a lawyer and hopefully get a lesser charge. As you guys mentioned, I got a dozen ads in mail. Now I am wondering if which lawyer I hire really matters in such a simple case. If yes, how do I pick one from all the letters?

Thanks a lot!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:20 PM

381 posts, read 1,328,226 times
Yes, it can matter. Most attorneys who advertise for tickets will do ok, but some folks don't pay enough attention and can mess up your license or insurance.

I'd avoid ads that look and feel like they are the cost-cutting, budget-based lawyers.

Avoid ads that don't have the "this is an advertisement for legal services" disclaimer on the envelop and the letter (in font as least as big as the firm name). It's a minor point, but if they don't care enough to follow specific rules from the Bar, I wouldn't trust them.

Other than that, call a few and then hire the one that does the best job of explaining what they'll do and actually sounding like they'll care.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 12-05-2011, 08:54 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,325,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz View Post
Thank you all for all the advise!

Some of you asked about the exact location, it was on Louis Stephens Dr in cary, right in front of the library.

I decided to hire a lawyer and hopefully get a lesser charge. As you guys mentioned, I got a dozen ads in mail. Now I am wondering if which lawyer I hire really matters in such a simple case. If yes, how do I pick one from all the letters?

Thanks a lot!
I can recommend Lawrence Kissling. Several people I know have used his services, and have been very happy.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:59 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,745,957 times
Good decision to hire a lawyer I did the same thing when I got a ticket in Winston Salem going 15 miles over. It cost me about 250.00, well worth it. I didn't have to take time off work and it was all handled for me. I did get a copy of my driving record from downtown raleigh and faxed it to the lawyer. That was it except spending the money.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 PM
ERH

1,705 posts, read 2,552,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz View Post
Yikes...isn't that a school zone? Definitely a good idea to get lawyered up!

Old 12-15-2011, 05:37 AM

22,756 posts, read 37,034,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Yikes...isn't that a school zone? Definitely a good idea to get lawyered up!
The school is there but I think the school zone is on Morrisville Parkway - not Louis Stephens... however, there is often a cop there hiding out. With the hills it's easy to get up over the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary