Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM

24 posts, read 60,315 times

Advertisements

I am amazed by reading every day about how wonderful Cary is .
I live in Cary since 2007 because i have to ( my husband is not retired yet and have kids to take care of ) but i see no beauty or charm around here . Cary is not a cute town but a group of subdivisions who seem to pop up like mushrooms .The summers are like hell with the heat , humidity and mosquitoes and are confined inside with the AC on . The best parts of North Carolina are in the mountains . We have a cabin in Todd , on he New River . It is close to Boone and to me that is a lovely area to settled in . We both love it .It is quiet , relaxing , has very good weather and you can enjoy the outdoors .
I am from Nice , France , my husband is from San Diego , CA and here you talk about beautiful part of the world . But Cary , sorry is not one of the places you want to see before you die. So move here if you find a highly paid job that you cannot get anywhere else in America . That is the only reason to make the move to this area in my opinion .If there is scenic places in this area , i will be happy to know where they are located ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,077,823 times
The attraction is that it is easy to get to the beach or the mountains. Period.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,416,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinegoodwin View Post
But Cary, sorry is not one of the places you want to see before you die. So move here if you find a highly paid job that you cannot get anywhere else in America . That is the only reason to make the move to this area in my opinion .If there is scenic places in this area , i will be happy to know where they are located ?
I don't think people move to Cary for its scenic beauty. I sure didn't. I moved here to escape a humongous mortgage payment and outrageous property taxes. I feel like I kicked a giant monkey off my back. I bought my house with cash proceeds from selling my house on Long Island. Living without a mortgage payment is the closest I'll get to heaven before I die! Yes, of course, there are still property taxes but I'll gladly pay $2,600 as opposed to $12,600 any day!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I don't think people move to Cary for its scenic beauty. I sure didn't. I moved here to escape a humongous mortgage payment and outrageous property taxes. I feel like I kicked a giant monkey off my back. I bought my house with cash proceeds from selling my house on Long Island. Living without a mortgage payment is the closest I'll get to heaven before I die! Yes, of course, there are still property taxes but I'll gladly pay $2,600 as opposed to $12,600 any day!!!
Ditto.

Why does it bother you so much if people like it here? That's bizarre. I'm shocked to hear you're from France. We call these OPINIONS here and anyone can have them. They are, by definition, neither right nor wrong.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:56 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,179,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
The attraction is that it is easy to get to the beach or the mountains. Period.
Not compared to NYC. The subway gets you to Coney Island or the Rockaways in about an hour for one fare,

Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,955,031 times
What??? Cary isn't like France? Who knew. You need to visit Carrboro - called by some "the Paris of the Piedmont."

Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,829,825 times
Quote:
I am amazed by reading every day about how wonderful Cary is .
I live in Cary since 2007 because i have to ( my husband is not retired yet and have kids to take care of ) but i see no beauty or charm around here . Cary is not a cute town but a group of subdivisions who seem to pop up like mushrooms .The summers are like hell with the heat , humidity and mosquitoes and are confined inside with the AC on . The best parts of North Carolina are in the mountains . We have a cabin in Todd , on he New River . It is close to Boone and to me that is a lovely area to settled in . We both love it .It is quiet , relaxing , has very good weather and you can enjoy the outdoors .
I am from Nice , France , my husband is from San Diego , CA and here you talk about beautiful part of the world . But Cary , sorry is not one of the places you want to see before you die. So move here if you find a highly paid job that you cannot get anywhere else in America . That is the only reason to make the move to this area in my opinion .If there is scenic places in this area , i will be happy to know where they are located ?
I know Cary doesn't have the greatest topography (just rolling hills), and it cannot compare to the beaches/history of Nice or the mountains/beaches of San Diego. But one scenic place I like to go to is Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve in Cary. It may be a place that you would like because it contains a relict population of mountain flora in the middle of the hot steamy Piedmont. North facing bluffs allow for this mountainous micro-climate to be virtually next door. There is one particular view that I enjoy seeing in the fall time. It includes all these hemlock trees perched precariously on a bluff that overlooks a carpet of fallen American Beech leaves. Quite breathtaking!

It may be because English isn't your first language, but I found your post to be presumptuous and slightly insulting. Growing up here, I've always appreciated this area's natural beauty. Just because you don't find it beautiful doesn't mean there aren't others that do.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:13 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,242,505 times
People don't move to the Triangle for it's scenic beauty. They move there for a better quality of life. Geez, if you are seeking scenic beauty, I'd suggest winning the lottery and moving to the Virgin Islands or Lake Toxaway.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:17 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,942,539 times
Quote:
Cary , sorry is not one of the places you want to see before you die. So move here if you find a highly paid job that you cannot get anywhere else in America . That is the only reason to make the move to this area in my opinion .
Thanks for the rant C'est la vie

Old 11-22-2011, 05:24 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,238,982 times
It's a good quality of life and a low cost of living. I've spent plenty of time in France and it's a truly lovely place but really it's so easy to live here and there are lovely homes with fully equipped kitchens and baths, which is certainly not the case in France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary