Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,343,700 times

Advertisements

I live in Cary. I've had AT&T since it was BellSouth Mobility. Never had problems with their service.

We have no land line. We don't need one. I'd never do the prepaid thing. I've got rollover and an iPhone. I use it constantly. I'm using it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 03:36 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,886,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myNC View Post
Same thing here. I am liking my Virigin Mobile switch from AT&T. Low money, good features and good quality coverage where I live in Cary.

One thing is if you ever have to deal with their customer service, good luck!
Haha!! I almost said that but my story was too long to add to my post When I first set up the phones it was a complete nightmare as I had two phones (for my kids) and Virgin couldn't understand that one person woud be be setting up two new phones Anyhow, I was so mad at them that i tweeted about it. And what do you know, I immediately heard from their social media rep who had customer service contact me and they fixed it. Since then it's been a piece of cake...no issue whatsoever. I recently bought my teen a new phone at Best Buy and they did the transfer/set up. it took 5 mins!

So, try to get whoever you buy it from to set it up. i guess if it's one phone you'd be fine And, remember....whenever a company gives you bad service, Tweet it out! Many co's have social media reps monitoring for bad press and they are on it so quick your head will spin. I plan to no longer ever call a customer service line again...althought I may miss "Carl" or Angie, whatever their American names are...and their hard to understand Indiaglish

Old 11-14-2011, 04:19 PM

5,910 posts, read 7,008,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I currently have Nextel and have learned Sprint is going to cease using Nextel's ISDN network.
I assume you meant iDEN? ISDN never really caught on, except for PRI circuits to PBXs.

Verizon did a smart thing buying ALLTEL, as it made a coverage area that is hard to beat. It you travel domestically, VZW (or one of the companies that use their network) is the way to go.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,595,307 times
Quote:
I assume you meant iDEN? ISDN never really caught on, except for PRI circuits to PBXs
Oh, yeah. lol. I can't imagine Sprint having many customers as it is but I'd find it hard to believe they can sustain operations after losing their Nextel customers.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfish923 View Post
What you say makes no sense. If you don't have signal on Sprint, it roams to Verizon. If you have Verizon, you have Sprint coverage. If your wife's phone doesn't work, then she may not have roaming on or something.

While I agree Verizon does have better coverage, since I can roam on their network, I have never been anywhere my Sprint phone doesn't work.
If roaming were the issue then all providers would have the same coverage map. Also, why do the users of Sprint and AT&T not have signal at my house but Verizon is strong? Is there a roaming issue with all these phones?
Somebody with more sense explain why cell phones have lapse in coverage when all they have to do is roam.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 PM

371 posts, read 1,220,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Haha!! I almost said that but my story was too long to add to my post When I first set up the phones it was a complete nightmare as I had two phones (for my kids) and Virgin couldn't understand that one person woud be be setting up two new phones Anyhow, I was so mad at them that i tweeted about it. And what do you know, I immediately heard from their social media rep who had customer service contact me and they fixed it. Since then it's been a piece of cake...no issue whatsoever. I recently bought my teen a new phone at Best Buy and they did the transfer/set up. it took 5 mins!

So, try to get whoever you buy it from to set it up. i guess if it's one phone you'd be fine And, remember....whenever a company gives you bad service, Tweet it out! Many co's have social media reps monitoring for bad press and they are on it so quick your head will spin. I plan to no longer ever call a customer service line again...althought I may miss "Carl" or Angie, whatever their American names are...and their hard to understand Indiaglish
Good info. I don't tweet. So, I may not be getting as good a service as you are.

Actually, the Customer service from Virgin Mobile is based in Philippines. When I was on phone several times I asked them where they are based at and how the life is etc etc. For some reason I never had issues with India English

Old 11-14-2011, 09:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,513,099 times
My mother in law has Sprint Metro PCS for $40/month unlimited calling and texts and it worked up here.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:21 AM

569 posts, read 1,980,948 times
Quote:
If roaming were the issue then all providers would have the same coverage map. Also, why do the users of Sprint and AT&T not have signal at my house but Verizon is strong? Is there a roaming issue with all these phones?
Somebody with more sense explain why cell phones have lapse in coverage when all they have to do is roam.
There are two different types of cell phone networks, CDMA and GSM and they are not compatible.

Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA so are physically capable of roaming on each others networks. Whether they actually will or not is up to the service providers and their contracts, so that could possibly explain why a sprint phone would not roam to Verizon in your area.

AT&T uses GSM so an AT&T phone is not physically capable of roaming on the Verizon network.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 AM

5,747 posts, read 17,631,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
There are two different types of cell phone networks, CDMA and GSM and they are not compatible.

AT&T uses GSM so an AT&T phone is not physically capable of roaming on the Verizon network.
Not many people realize this. If a cell phone manufacturer wants to sell a particular phone model to both Verizon and AT&T, they actually have to design, test, and manufacture 2 different phones. One will have a GSM microprocessor in it and the other will have a CDMA processor in it. This is very expensive.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,513,099 times
Also CDMA is an older technology. GSM is newer and used extensively in Europe as well. In this case, IMO, older = better. CDMA has longer wavelengths that penetrate buildings. After having AT&T for 10 days I dropped them and went back to Verizon. Voice quality and coverage was significantly better.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:15 AM

371 posts, read 1,220,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Not many people realize this. If a cell phone manufacturer wants to sell a particular phone model to both Verizon and AT&T, they actually have to design, test, and manufacture 2 different phones. One will have a GSM microprocessor in it and the other will have a CDMA processor in it. This is very expensive.
I heard dual-mode phones are coming into the market. Also, dual SIM types are alsoo coming. Haven't seen one yet. Not sure how reliable the info is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary