Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,922,727 times

Advertisements

My wife is looking for a cell phone since we have relocated. We had Cincinnati Bell Wireless which was great because their plans were all non-contract. I get my service through work so it's a non-issue for me at the moment.

I don't like contracts for several reasons; one, you never know what's going to happen a year from now, and also because some of them auto-renew making them sort of perpetual contracts unless you really keep a close eye on them.

We're also considering a pre-paid option - that might work for us, but I'm sure there are probably drawbacks that I haven't thought of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,273,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
My wife is looking for a cell phone since we have relocated. We had Cincinnati Bell Wireless which was great because their plans were all non-contract. I get my service through work so it's a non-issue for me at the moment.

I don't like contracts for several reasons; one, you never know what's going to happen a year from now, and also because some of them auto-renew making them sort of perpetual contracts unless you really keep a close eye on them.

We're also considering a pre-paid option - that might work for us, but I'm sure there are probably drawbacks that I haven't thought of.
I had good experience with AT&T's prepaid (month-to-month) plan last summer when I used it for several months. Then, it cost something like $69.99 per month for 650 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, and free mobile-to-mobile.

It would probably be best to check into the options offered by your service provider at work, as you'll surely want to be able to use free mobile-to-mobile minutes when talking with one another.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:03 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,922,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Then, it cost something like $69.99 per month...
Yikes! We've got digital phone service at home, so long distance isn't an issue, and she rarely uses her cell phone - I just want her to have one for emergencies, so 650 minutes is probably more then we'd use.

Quote:
It would probably be best to check into the options offered by your service provider at work, as you'll surely want to be able to use free mobile-to-mobile minutes when talking with one another.
Mine is through Verizon, and they don't have any non-contract plans. Not sure about pre-paid though.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:11 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,786,766 times
AT&T Wireless has a 25 cents/minute plan (for all domestic calls) that may work well for you. You prepay and have expiration. $100 prepay has a 1 year expiration.

There are other plans, but that one seems to have no other strings.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:28 AM

9 posts, read 43,647 times
Perhaps look into Boost Mobile also. My fiance just purchased a new phone and service with them. Plans are non-contract and $45 a month for unlimited local and long distance, $50 a month for unlimited calling and texting, and $55 a month for unliminted calling, texting and Internet. They also have a fairly nice selection of phones (if the cosmetic matters to you guys). IMO, they are the best in terms of the pre-paid/non-contract providers. I have had Virgin Mobile until now, and basically pay the same for much less freedom (400 daytime & 2000 night/weekend minutes, what a ripoff!). Needless to say, I'll be switching to Boost very soon!

It's also nice that you don't have to pay with a credit card if you don't want to. You can easily pay in cash at the location where you set up your account, if you prefer.

Welcome to the area!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,515,317 times
we use Virgin Mobile, and we love them. they are prepaid and no contracts. the phones are inexpensive but they have every type you can want. they have different "plans", ours is 10 cents a minute and we just have to "top up" a minimum of $20 in 3 months in order to stay activated. you dont lose minutes either. i hardly use my phone, so i top up every couple of months.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:35 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,071,975 times
I have a Net 10 from Walmart, you just buy the phone and the minutes, no contract, and pay 10c per minute to make or receive calls.

The basic Nokia is around $30, plus the minutes - which you can buy as cards or on online - no other costs, no minimum top-up per month.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:37 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,198,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
we use Virgin Mobile, and we love them. they are prepaid and no contracts. the phones are inexpensive but they have every type you can want. they have different "plans", ours is 10 cents a minute and we just have to "top up" a minimum of $20 in 3 months in order to stay activated. you dont lose minutes either. i hardly use my phone, so i top up every couple of months.
Another vote for Virgin. Great for over 3 years.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:50 AM

140 posts, read 441,568 times
Hi!

If your wife is truly a low user you may also want to look into the "U" prepaid plans offered by Alltel. They have several different options but we use the 15 cents a minute including long distance plan and so long as you make a one minute call each month your minutes roll over until you run out of them (if you don't use the phone at all its $4.00 so its worth even calling yourself for 15 cents). You can replenish online or via phone. There is a tax or surcharge on the replenishment but it is not much (I think takes the cost up to 16 cents a minute.) My husband and I both have these phones and find that we get good service and spend less than $10. a month per phone. Heck there are months we don't spend $5. between the two of us.

We found this to be the best plan for our very low usage patterns.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM

502 posts, read 1,742,586 times
I heard an advertisement for Cricket that said $35/month unlimited, month to month. Don't know anything about them, but that is a heck of a deal if its true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary