Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:04 PM

13 posts, read 68,890 times

Advertisements

I'm very interested in moving to downtown Raleigh. I'm 22 y.o. and finishing up school - will be going to grad school here at State most likely.

The Hue Apartments caught my eye - they were built to be condos but failed because of the financial crisis and now they are available for rent for a minor fortune...

Living situation is one of the few things I don't mind splurging on, especially for location and style - but 3/4 Google reviews of the apartments were 1/5 stars citing poor management and dirty common rooms.

It looks like there are several affordable 1BR units available right now (around $1040/mo.). Does anybody have any experience or have friends who have had experience with The Hue apartments that they could share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:29 PM

804 posts, read 2,007,216 times
i had friends who lived in a 1 bedroom. the apartment itself was really nice but the rent was more tha i ever paid when i rented apartments (personal preference). the location is convenient but be prepared to hear all the downtown experience of the surrounding clubs & restaurants at night. they broke their lease after six months to move out because the noise was ridiculous, granted they were on the corner that overlooks the courtyard of legends which was quite loud until 2AM or so on weekends & at least pretty late on wednesday/thursday nights. maybe another apartment location would be great.

i should note that they also moved out because the free cable that they got when first moving in expired & for them to add in cable with other utilities made their costs more than they wished to pay(& that was with a great move-in special as they were one of the first people moving in). all this to say that it is personal preference. you may want to go around downtown during different days of the week & weekend at different hours to gauge the noise-level & then perhaps find out if you can make an appointment with a hue person to visit a condo during a time of loudness to see if it bothers you.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:56 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,166,931 times
My friends were living in the Hue. Everything was fine until they moved out and they tried to charge them $2000 for "damages" So now they get to fight them in court. So if you do rent from them, take a bajillion pictures going into the place and a bajillion pictures when you're moving out.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks for those replies, guys!

I try to be a very cautious renter and usually take a bajillion pictures anyway - but thanks to your warning if I end up there, I'll take 2 bajillion! Nice to find something practical to use my DSLR for...

I'm usually up til 2am on Thursday-Saturday nights, anyway, so that isn't too much of a bother. Most concerning is that damages dispute... Please keep me updated on how that case goes!

I'm still very interested in this place.. it's certainly very expensive - but location, location, location! (I don't need much space..)

Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 AM

Well, I went down and looked at the units and spoke with the management. I'm very impressed - and it seems as if they are really trying to fix all of the issues people have been complaining about in the online reviews. They have a move-in special right now that I'm very tempted to take advantage of...

I'll make sure to update this forum and apartmentratings.com with my thoughts if I go this route. (Since I was at such a loss).

Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,134,250 times
I have had a couple friends check them out and both decided to live at 712 Tucker. Both felt Tucker offered better floorplans and location. Might be worth checking out if your haven't already. Good. Luck!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 AM

Well, I've been living at the Hue for about two months now and figured I'd post an update for anybody who cares.

Location-wise, I think it beats 712 Tucker, but that is because I prefer dead-center downtown to Glenwood South. It is only an 8 minute walk to Glenwood from the Hue, anyway.
It takes me exactly 30 minutes to walk from the Hue to Burlington Labs on NCSU campus (it's right in the middle of north). Driving to Centennial campus is incredibly easy and quite fast.

Complaints so far...
Honestly, not too many! But I've only been here in the winter months - many of the complaints were against the pool and summer parties held here. (Perhaps I'll remember to update this post in a few months!) Only once have we thought "gee, those neighbors are incredibly loud", and they were on their way out to Glenwood South so it wasn't late and didn't last long.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,549,694 times
I'm actually glad to hear that they turned them into rental units. IMO, building a strong rental market downtown will be vital to the success of turning downtown raleigh into a more livable city.

Also glad to hear that you are enjoying living there!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:18 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,345,525 times
I'm just curious what type of people are renting at the Hue. College students? Young working professionals? Singles? Retirees? Work in downtown?

I agree this is great for Downtown Raleigh. Are these the type of folks that frequent downtown alot?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,236,867 times
^^^ I work on Fayetteville Street in the middle of downtown Raleigh and I'm familiar with both the Hue and 712 Tucker as well as the couple other downtown apartment buildings. Bang for the buck 712 Tucker is a much nicer property with more ammenities. But the Hue's location might be better for some and is certainly a decent place. With both, I fill like the tenants are a mix of College Students, Young Working Professional couples, and Singles and maybe just a few who are Retirees due to the noise and activity going on in the city especially on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary