Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 PM

11 posts, read 44,670 times

Advertisements

I searched a MLS website and saw numerous houses for sale that were only purchased in 2004 & 2005. They were lived in because the pictures show them furnished. I'm now wondering what's going on, why are they selling their homes if they just purchased them? This is making me really nervous about relocating to Cary. Do I have reason for concern or am I just being paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 05:54 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,047,107 times
From what I have noticed from clients is it is a variety of reasons. The most predominate one is people get transferred with their company, get promoted, get relocated, etc and it is usually after they have been in the house a short time. A number of people know they are only going to be in the area for a short time and still buy, because their company gives them relo packages that pays for moving, and will pay their mortgage if the house doesn't sell.

Other people move for various reasons, some people like to move every couple of years, some people move because their family situations change (my spouse and I bought a house that we loved before we had children, then didn't love so much once we had a little one running around).

People do not stay in their homes for long periods of time any longer. Many people move every 3 or 4 years. I think it all depends on your personality, and your work situation.

Leigh

Old 09-08-2006, 06:49 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,569,265 times
I think what they say is every 5 years. People from other parts of the country don't understand that. Coming from Conn, everyone I know there are still in the same house they bought, some 40 years ago. People just don't up and change like they do here.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:04 PM

463 posts, read 1,652,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhusbands View Post
I searched a MLS website and saw numerous houses for sale that were only purchased in 2004 & 2005. They were lived in because the pictures show them furnished. I'm now wondering what's going on, why are they selling their homes if they just purchased them? This is making me really nervous about relocating to Cary. Do I have reason for concern or am I just being paranoid?
Cary was recently named one of the top 10 places to live in the U.S. by Money Magazine.

These types of ratings are absurd, in my opinion and experience, and do not begin to approach any type of scientific or even rational study.

Perhaps people think they can get big bucks for their homes after such a rating, or perhaps they desperately want out because they are smart enough to recognize the downside of what a huge influx of people who buy into such ratings will mean.

Regards,

Cassie.. not a Realtor who hopes to make a sale, just someone with common sense and a wee bit of life experience.

Last edited by Cassie; 09-08-2006 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: spaces

Old 09-08-2006, 07:23 PM

60 posts, read 303,789 times
I have known a number of people who buy early in a new subdivision with the sole intent to sell once it's built out. Usually once a subdivision in a desirable area is built and sold out, the prices on those houses rise. People then resell to make a few quick bucks. It's not uncommon for people here to live in a house 2-5 years before moving. My wife and I bought the house we are in now with the intent to sell after about 5 years.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,910,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Cary was recently named one of the top 10 places to live in the U.S. by Money Magazine.

These types of ratings are absurd, in my opinion and experience, and do not begin to approach any type of scientific or even rational study.

Cassie.. not a Realtor who hopes to make a sale, just someone with common sense and a wee bit of life experience.
It is funny you bring this up because I read the business journals, amoung other things, - anyway - here is a link where they did a study on the quality of life and the only place in nc that came up tops was Kill Devil Hills, N.C.;
the best places are in the west, and this came out of the Charlotte Bus Journal
link:
http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/edit_special/41.html (broken link)

when they do they studies, you have to read the reasoning behind their logic which sometimes has none at all. They do explain how they have come to what they come to but my point is one study will show x great and another study shows something else.

Cary may be a great but it may not be for everyone - too many people takes these things to heart and this alone cause them to move (if you move based on a magazine survery, well there goes the education level in Cary)

and the realtors in the area promote it ...

Old 09-10-2006, 10:13 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,611,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post

Perhaps people think they can get big bucks for their homes after such a rating, or perhaps they desperately want out because they are smart enough to recognize the downside of what a huge influx of people who buy into such ratings will mean.

Regards,

That's a pretty good assessment. I mean, there is no advantage to living in Cary over any other town around it really. My best guess as to the real reason these houses are for sale so soon after they were constructed would be that the people just got transfered. A lot of people who live in Cary are transplants/transients who work for companies in RTP. Many of these companies (such as IBM, which many jokingly say actually stands for "I've Been Moved") transfer employees all over the country and even overseas quite often.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:16 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,285,858 times
There truly are so many reasons why people move. I have ONE client who moved here from Wilmington. She bought a townhouse. After 2 years, she decided she wanted a single house. We sold the townhouse and she bought a single family detached home. She has now gotten a promotion with her job and is doing alot of traveling so she wants to sell this house and buy a townhouse. All this in less than 4 years!

By the way...great transitional home...all Leesville Schools...

Oops...better not...don't wanna be banned AGAIN!

Vicki

Old 09-11-2006, 12:01 AM

333 posts, read 1,202,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhusbands View Post
I think its the crime, gang warfare, and poor schools that Cary is notorious for. You should see all the drug dealers and prostitutes roaming the community tennis courts, and water slides.

I mean why else would anyone sell a home in a year or two?

I just searched a MLS website in Honolulu and saw numerous houses for sale that were only purchases in 2004 & 2005... same for Portland... same for Denver... same for Nashville...same for Seattle...same for Austin - I guess the crime, gang warfare, and poor schools is nationwide.... pity.

I assume they are all moving to areas like NJ to take advantage of high taxes and cost of living....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary