Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times

Advertisements

Today's N&O has an article on the closure of the spur road linking RTP to NC147 Durham Freeway which carries 13,000 cars and trucks a day. The spur road will 'permantly close from Labor day for construction work for the Triangle Parkway Toll Road but not reopen as things stand. I am amazed that our politicians allow such unilateral road closures by the Toll Authority which is obviously motivated to generate additional revenue by forcing drivers onto the new Toll Road instead of roads they have used for years as part of their commute. The spur from TW Alexander also connects with I-40 so this is a huge disruption and the 'communications meeting' planned by the Toll Authority on 30 August is just 6 days before they close such a busy road. Obviously the meeting is going through the motions and they don't intend listening or changing whatever people say.

It's one thing to have a Toll Road so people can make a choice whether to use it or not. It is another thing when a well used road is closed by the Toll Road so that the only reasonable alternative is to use the new road at a price. The article talks about plenty of alternatives but that will mean traffic moving onto already congested roads like Davis Drive or cutting through roads like Sedwick Road causing unnecessary traffic for residents there.

Road work will force change in RTP routes - Traffic - NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
A lot of us dealt with the same issue a year ago when the Davis/Kit Creek exit from 540 was closed.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Wonderful, more traffic on Davis & Cornwallis - the only part of my commute that isn't too bad right now!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
I am amazed that our politicians allow such unilateral road closures by the Toll Authority which is obviously motivated to generate additional revenue by forcing drivers onto the new Toll Road instead of roads they have used for years as part of their commute. The spur from TW Alexander also connects with I-40 so this is a huge disruption and the 'communications meeting' planned by the Toll Authority on 30 August is just 6 days before they close such a busy road.

I feel your pain, but don't expect the politicians to help. Gov. Perdue merged the Toll Authority into NC DOT. Tolls are really just a way for the State to raise money for road building without calling it a "tax".

Frank

Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM

233 posts, read 269,754 times
What's funny is how people think my commute is 30 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic, yet it's 20 minutes of easy pleasant sailing finished up with 10 minutes of heavy traffic. That heavy traffic is in RTP, which will now get worse with this bad decision. Thank God I go to RDU as much as I go to RTP. That said, the traffic in RTP is nothing compared to the cities I visit around the country including Miami. OMG!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 AM

150 posts, read 289,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniceBound View Post
What's funny is how people think my commute is 30 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic, yet it's 20 minutes of easy pleasant sailing finished up with 10 minutes of heavy traffic. That heavy traffic is in RTP, which will now get worse with this bad decision. Thank God I go to RDU as much as I go to RTP. That said, the traffic in RTP is nothing compared to the cities I visit around the country including Miami. OMG!

where do you commute from?
My present commute on long island 10 miles in bumper to bumper 3 lane each way expressway takes me 1/2 hour-45 min.
we are looking in either Clayton/Garner or Youngsville and have been getting 55 min commute estimates. If thats just distance and not stopped dead traffic and stress its not really as bad as I was thinking...

Old 08-19-2011, 09:53 AM

233 posts, read 269,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilaurorn View Post
where do you commute from?
My present commute on long island 10 miles in bumper to bumper 3 lane each way expressway takes me 1/2 hour-45 min.
we are looking in either Clayton/Garner or Youngsville and have been getting 55 min commute estimates. If thats just distance and not stopped dead traffic and stress its not really as bad as I was thinking...
The southwest side of Wake County. 26 miles or so. The travel is easy with nice scenery along the way. It only gets congested the closer I get to RTP. That's one of the reasons I chose not to live near there. But even at that I do need to make sure you are aware what is heavier traffic here is not even remotely close to heavy traffic in any of the cities I travel to. Miami, Dallas, Philly, LA, Richmond, etc.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 AM

677 posts, read 1,902,760 times
I'm too lazy to google it but I've never heard of a SPUR road!!?!!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I'm assuming they mean the portion of 147 south of 40 here:

Durham Freeway, Durham, NC - Google Maps

Old 08-19-2011, 10:58 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
Today's N&O has an article on the closure of the spur road linking RTP to NC147 Durham Freeway which carries 13,000 cars and trucks a day. The spur road will 'permantly close from Labor day for construction work for the Triangle Parkway Toll Road but not reopen as things stand. I am amazed that our politicians allow such unilateral road closures by the Toll Authority which is obviously motivated to generate additional revenue by forcing drivers onto the new Toll Road instead of roads they have used for years as part of their commute. The spur from TW Alexander also connects with I-40 so this is a huge disruption and the 'communications meeting' planned by the Toll Authority on 30 August is just 6 days before they close such a busy road. Obviously the meeting is going through the motions and they don't intend listening or changing whatever people say.

It's one thing to have a Toll Road so people can make a choice whether to use it or not. It is another thing when a well used road is closed by the Toll Road so that the only reasonable alternative is to use the new road at a price. The article talks about plenty of alternatives but that will mean traffic moving onto already congested roads like Davis Drive or cutting through roads like Sedwick Road causing unnecessary traffic for residents there.

Gotta disagree. As I understand it that "spur" to TW Alexander was always, always designed to be part of the eventual extension of NC147 southbound as part of today's TriEx project. There wouldn't have been a reason to have the road go past there otherwise.

Look, NC has a lot of growth and we need money for roads. Toll roads are just part of that. And I say this even though Mrs. BCR commutes from downtown Durham to Davis & Hopson each day and will end up using the toll road to Hopson -- the dimes a day translate still to a faster commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary