Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 PM

78 posts, read 227,070 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My parents are coming into town this weekend and are food & wine folks. I am not.

I am thinking of all of us going to the farmers market and picking out some fresh NC produce and making an interesting dinner with it and pairing it with a local wine.
My folks like to try local wines when they visit places, so I thought going to pick out the wine at a local winery or vineyard would be nice.

Has anyone been to the Vineyards at Southpoint?
Is it worth a trip?
Is there a different winery / vineyard that we should do instead?

We live in Apex and I would be willing to drive up to an hour to a vineyard/winery.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 04:15 AM

43,431 posts, read 77,366,917 times
Chatham Hill - An Urban Winery in the Heart of North Carolina

As you can see, they buy their grapes, mostly from higher in the Piedmont, and also from CA.

If I am not mistaken, we don't really have great vineyard climate here, so it may be hard to find fine wine made from grapes from an adjacent vineyard.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:13 AM

515 posts, read 1,718,725 times
YES!! Vineyards at Southpoint is worth the trip. Nothing against Chatham Hill as I like htier wines as well but they are not a Vineyard Winery. They are in a commercial strip building. The Southpoint Vineyards are a true vineyard with all the bells and whistles. Also, I have done tastings at both and do like Southpoint wines better (to each his own though). They have a Cabernet Sav that is amazing.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:16 AM

515 posts, read 1,718,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If I am not mistaken, we don't really have great vineyard climate here, so it may be hard to find fine wine made from grapes from an adjacent vineyard.
Not true!! We have over 100+ wineries now and this state is no longer a Muscadine, Scuppernog wine state. Many of the wineries are sucessfully growing non-sweet grapes. I have visited approximately 40 wineries in NC and this stat eis getting a very good reputation for quality wine production. Another fantastic winery is Silk Hope Winery They have an amazing selection and are in Pittsboro, NC.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:58 AM

520 posts, read 1,018,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCaffo View Post
My folks like to try local wines when they visit places, so I thought going to pick out the wine at a local winery or vineyard would be nice.
So do you plan to take your folks to the winery? Or are you just looking for a nice local wine to have w/supper @ your house?

If you are taking them somewhere if you do the Vineyards @ Southpoint see if you can get booked into the food & wine pairing.
Chatham Hill offers a nice tour of the facilities & tasting that would be fun to do.
There are enough winerys in the area you could line up a handful & do an afternoon just going to each & doing a tasting.

If you just want a bottle of wine for supper at the house, what about Total Wine? I believe most of them have a section of local/NC wines. Talk to someone there & I bet they could help you pick out a nice wine or two for supper without having to drive an hour to get it.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:41 AM

10 posts, read 33,518 times
Did a tasting at the Southpoint location with food pairings and it was great. I forget the guys name, but he was very knowledgeable and the wines were very good!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:45 PM

43,431 posts, read 77,366,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
Not true!! We have over 100+ wineries now and this state is no longer a Muscadine, Scuppernog wine state. Many of the wineries are sucessfully growing non-sweet grapes. I have visited approximately 40 wineries in NC and this stat eis getting a very good reputation for quality wine production. Another fantastic winery is Silk Hope Winery They have an amazing selection and are in Pittsboro, NC.

Well, there is nothing like a good mistake to draw out better info.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 PM

915 posts, read 2,386,287 times
The Yadkin Valley Wine Trail is more than worth the trip. Check it out, if you want to devote a day to wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary