Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:02 PM

32 posts, read 52,439 times

Advertisements

My husband was transferred to an office in Durham and we'll be moving there in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to the move, but will miss the tons of great Thai and Vietnamese food in OKC (it's a surprising highlight of that city).

Where do you recommend in Durham for good Thai and Vietnamese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 PM

285 posts, read 493,784 times
I love the Thai Cafe on University Drive. Thai Palace in Chapel Hill is great too.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:26 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,967,042 times
I second Thai Cafe, and we like Lime and Basil in Chapel Hill for Vietnamese.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:57 PM

441 posts, read 1,292,903 times
I third the Thai cafe, they also have one in Wake Forest now

Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 PM

222 posts, read 546,241 times
Yeah, Thai Cafe is the obvious choice in Durham! I haven't tried Lime & Basil yet.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,152,000 times
Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but I'll throw it out there anyway. There is a Chinese/Thai buffet at the food lion shopping center on the corner of 54/55 in RTP. I don't typically love Buffet's but this one is REALLY good. They have a lot of the typical Chinese buffet items, but also have stuff like Basil Chicken, a few good noodle dishes, some curries, and a few rotating dishes (like last time they had this thing with asian eggplants that was out of this world._) They also usually have ho-fun noodles on the buffet, which is good.

It's a buffet for lunch (and if you don't get there before noon, you'll have to wait), and then ala carte for dinner. Pretty deserted at dinner, and not much ambiance, but really the buffet is a good option for a fast and good lunch.

Another decent lunch spot for Pho and Bahn Mi is Pho 9n9, on Miami and Alexander. (I've never had their Bahn Mi)

Short drive, but OUT OF THIS WORLD Bahn Mi in Greensboro on HighPoint Road. THe place has Bahn Mi in the name, but I can't think of it right now. DM me if you need more info and I'll look it up and post back here.

Also, you didn't ask it, but much like OKC has a good showing of Thai and Vietnamese, RTP has an excellent selection of Indian Food (as does Morrisville and Cary). Worth exploring, as you seem to be a foodie.

I like Spice and Curry in RTP, and Tower in Morrisville is great for vegitarian Indian.

Hope some of these suggestions might help.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 AM

32 posts, read 52,439 times
Thai Cafe it is! We'll definitely check it out.

Thank you for the details on surrounding areas, and the tip on Indian! That makes me feel more enthusiastic about our dining options there.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,905,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but I'll throw it out there anyway. There is a Chinese/Thai buffet at the food lion shopping center on the corner of 54/55 in RTP.
Have you been there recently? I heard a rumor on Yelp that they had closed.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:15 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,152,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Have you been there recently? I heard a rumor on Yelp that they had closed.
A coworker ate there as recently as last week. I hope you are wrong, that would SUCK.

I'll check it out, and update if they are closed. (Damn, now I won't sleep well tonight, until I find out...)

Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 AM

55 posts, read 175,805 times
Twisted Noodle is also a very good Thai place! They are located off University Drive, near K-mart. Very good Tofu Pad Thai.

Pho 9n9 is good but the quality at Lime and Basil in Chapel Hill is MUCH better. Their spring rolls are awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary