Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:06 PM

285 posts, read 493,862 times

Advertisements

Don't lose hope! Finding a teaching job is an arduous process, but you will find something eventually. I learned from my own experience that many teachers are hired in the last few days before school opens and more are sometimes hired once the tenth day counts are done.

Quote:
in Wake county new teachers are put on a terminating contract
This also true in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools.

Some ideas to consider:
  • Look into charter (Charter Schools) and private/independent schools (www.ncais.org).
  • Apply to substitute in several different schools. You get to know the schools, they get to know you, and hey, it's income!
  • Consider taking a part-time position as a coach or a teacher in an afterschool program. Same reasons.
Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 PM

12 posts, read 18,204 times
I relocated from NYC to NC. Prior to coming I sent out my resume to some schools in Wake county. I was called in for an interview a couple of weeks later. I was offered a teaching position. The offer was not on a terminating contract, that is only for NEW teachers to education. I will be on Probation for only one year like any other job. I was also offered another position in Nash County. Therefore, there are teaching positions out there. Just a little word of advice, during my interview at one of the schools, the principal did state that a lot of teachers are not proactive with searching for a job. Some teachers just email/fax resumes. Some principals want you to come into the schools and hand them your resume. Maybe you could get a quick interview on the spot. Stay positive and be proactive. If I would have listened to people talk about the layoffs, etc... I wouldn't have applied period. Just keep trying!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,880,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

Google "wake county school board", please.
Brother Francois...you made me laugh so much with this...

OP, you have got to be kidding if you think Wake isn't political. Our board ( new members IMO) wrote the book on this. anyhow, if you are a minority, they really want you as they want to balance things out. If not, maybe try Durham Co, Johnston Co, or further out. You could try Charlotte or New Hanover Co.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 836 times
I became certified in 2009, I will complete a Masters this fall in teaching. I work at an Elementary school in North Carolina as a Teacher Assistant which is the position I had prior to becoming certified. My principal has interviewed me more than once and has pretty much told me to hold on there should be something for me. The school year starts in a couple weeks and the principal has hired all around me, and I am still an assistant. Last year I administered the EOG and my proctor, who had not even taken the Praxis at the time has a position for next year. I have applied everywhere and like some of the others on this site...I feel I am throwing my resume and cover letters down a black hole. I have yet to receive an interview. In addition I have enough hours to be certified in ESL. If all goes well academically at the first of the year I will have a masters and two certifications. So I ask why am I still just a TA?

Last edited by 4mygirls; 08-05-2011 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: miss spelling

Old 08-05-2011, 06:20 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,305,248 times
I read in another thread that teachers are needed in Mississippi. https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...king-cool.html, post #10.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:14 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,692,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mygirls View Post
I became certified in 2009, I will complete a Masters this fall in teaching. I work at an Elementary school in North Carolina as a Teacher Assistant which is the position I had prior to becoming certified. My principal has interviewed me more than once and has pretty much told me to hold on there should be something for me. The school year starts in a couple weeks and the principal has hired all around me, and I am still an assistant. Last year I administered the EOG and my proctor, who had not even taken the Praxis at the time has a position for next year. I have applied everywhere and like some of the others on this site...I feel I am throwing my resume and cover letters down a black hole. I have yet to receive an interview. In addition I have enough hours to be certified in ESL. If all goes well academically at the first of the year I will have a masters and two certifications. So I ask why am I still just a TA?
Oh, I feel your pain!!! I think the professional advice for you is to wait a month or so, then ask your principal in the most humble, sincere way possible, for advice on how to get your career back on track. Finishing the ESL cert might help.

My suspicion: that because you almost have a Masters, it is more cost effective for any school to hire a brand new grad with only a Bachelors. They do this in NY all the time. (And do be thinking the Unions have any say in this matter, they don't) Not fair, not right. Especially for those of us who are required to get a Masters for certification. Every time a certified elementary librarian in NY retires or moves away, she is replaced with a TA because certification is not mandated at the elementary level.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:41 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,264,910 times
Politics is a way of life in education EVERYWHERE. They go hand-in-hand. It isn't much better here in NC. Depending on your certs you might find a position. Like everywhere else there are some SpEd positions NO ONE ELSE wants.
Have you taken the PRAXIS II? Apply to the various counties AND to individual schools in each county...

Old 08-05-2011, 07:45 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mygirls View Post
Either---

The principal likes having an OVER QUALIFIED TA...

OR

The principal doesn't think you are a good teacher?

Either way, I would look else where for a position and jump if you have an offer.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 AM

82 posts, read 148,592 times
What are your areas of certification?
If I were you, I'd look at all the individual county school system websites. Some of them refer you to the state jobs database, and some do not. If you're serious about getting a job I would apply for a license as quickly as possible as most schools need "highly qualified teachers' - meaning licensed teachers, even if you have a reciprocal license you should go ahead and go for it in NC. You should apply to the county however they specify, then call the specific principals at the various schools as a follow-up or send them your resume and a cover letter directly, then call.
You should also look at individual charter schools' websites/employment pages.
Good luck! The pay sucks here compared to NY and although I think you'll have better luck w/a rural district you will have to watch your "northern" ways (seriously) when trying to blend. Even after 15 years in NC I still ran into people who thought I was too direct, and believe me, it has been toned down considerably in the years since I moved here.
A

Old 08-05-2011, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 17,963 times
Thank again, I have found alot of good advice here. I have sent in my application for an NC license just a few days ago, I am already certified in three other states to teach Social Studies 7-12.

In response to 4mygirls, I absolutely feel your pain. I had recently been through a similar situation- its disappointing to feel over qualified for the job your doing, while lesser qualified people are walking right in. I liked the recommendation about humbling asking your principal about what steps you should be taking to further your career, although I don't think you should wait a few more weeks! At that point there may be no opportunities left. Instead I think you should ask soon, look for an honest response, and if your principal doesn't seem so supportive then you move on! If he/she is supportive of your advancement then you've really shown your ambition and motivation to find a job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary