Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:39 PM

16 posts, read 38,131 times

Advertisements

Anybody have any adivce (good or bad) about teaching in North Carolina? Im planning on moving there from Detroit next year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 09:12 PM

7 posts, read 48,480 times
What do you teach? I am an elementary teacher in NY wanting to relo to raleigh. The wcps' is very organized, and though my research concludes there is a need for teachers, I have been unable thus far to secure a position for the fall.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:18 AM

107 posts, read 480,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit city View Post
Anybody have any adivce (good or bad) about teaching in North Carolina? Im planning on moving there from Detroit next year!
Why would you solicit bad advice?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
Check out this web-site for North Carolina Teaching Information:

Work 4 NC Schools

My wife works in Michigan's Public School system and we were (still are?) looking at relocation to the Raleigh area as a career change for me. Naturally, we were interested in how easily she could find employment in her same field as well as the pay and benefits she could expect to receive. One of my prospective employers in Raleigh was the Wake County Public Schools also.

North Carolina schools are operated far differently than in Michigan. The differences are probably not significant to you if you are a new teacher seeking employment . If you are an experienced teacher, you will be surprised at the breadth and depth of differences.

Search for other posts on this topic too. The rapid population growth in the Raleigh area is driving significant increases in: student counts, the number of teachers required to instruct them, the quantity of available teaching positions, and a lot of interest from teachers nation-wide.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:13 PM

I am certified k-5 self contained and 6-8 language arts and social studies (MI). Im looking to relocate to NC in the fall of 09 and not neccessarily Raleigh. Have you had to take the Praxis test?

Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
Quote:
I am certified k-5 self contained and 6-8 language arts and social studies (MI). Im looking to relocate to NC in the fall of 09 and not neccessarily Raleigh. Have you had to take the Praxis test?
I am not an Educator so I am probably exempt from the Praxis test. My background is Construction Management. I was drawn to WCPSS by its massive school construction program forecasted for the next 15 years or so. My wife is a Special Ed Para-professional (primarily autistic students for 14 years) but I don't recall her mentioning any test by that name either.

The web link will give info regarding school systems throughout NC.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:38 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,757 times
Hey Detroit City, sorry for chiming in so late. You might be exempt from taking the Praxis if you can submit documentation for an equivalent test. And it seems like they will take any standardized test from a reciprocal state. I didn't have to take it since I took the test in CO, but I'm also certified in MI. Get your certification together. Make sure you are ready to go to teach when you get here. No one will hire you without a valid NC license. I had some issues with Wake's hiring practices. DM me if you want details. If you really want a teaching job, there are many to be had. Durham is always hiring it seems. And you might want to check out Johnston County. You will not get paid what you do in MI, but I'm sure you already know that. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 PM

Are you currently in NC? if so, when did you arrive? What issues did you have with Wake's hiring process, if you don't mind me asking. Which area do you suggest in terms of living? I know it seems everyone says the triange yet there must be other areas just as interesting. Is traffic that bad?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:11 AM

64 posts, read 287,949 times
Quote:

It depends on where you are looking to teach in North Carolina. CMS is among the top paying school district in North Carolina but as a former CMS teacher, I certainly wouldn't recommend teaching there. Because the school system in Detroit is crumbling, many Detroit teachers have accepted jobs with CMS...only they may find that they'll be leaving one crumbling school district for another. If you are considering the Charlotte area, nearby Union County schools would be a better choice - if you're lucky enough to secure a position. Do your research first. Good luck to you.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:08 PM

107 posts, read 425,268 times
Default working in NC

I worked for Durham Public Schools from 2002-2005 and am returning to the area this summer and will work for Wake County. I am originally from WI and I had a WI teaching license and when I first moved to NC I did have to take the Praxis. NC gave me a 1 year temporary license and I took the Praxis during my first year teaching in NC.
In NC you do not have to take college courses to maintain your license you just need to complete a certain number of CEU's that you get when you attend workshops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary