Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 PM

448 posts, read 852,026 times

Advertisements

We are still looking for places to get married. I have contacted many of the places that have been suggested before. For either the price and/or date have not worked out. My biggest thing I come across is that we are so small (20) and some people want $3000.00 minimum for food. (That's a lot of food for 20 people) Long distance planning is not so easy. I tried a search and came up with no results. So, here I am. I am wondering if anyone has been married, is planning on getting married, photographed, catered or attended a wedding at the North Carolina Museum of History. We are contemplating a small wedding, and one of the places we are looking at is the museum. Since it is so small (20) the room we will be having it at is the Demonstration Gallery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 05:37 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,151 times
I havent been there since I was a child but it SOUNDS like a great venue. Hope it works out for you!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM

843 posts, read 2,101,447 times
I think it would be a great place. But I havent been for a wedding.

FWIW, We got married at the Durham Arts Council, downtown. Our wedding took place in the big glass atruim. The reception was in an ajoining art space. VERY nice and classy. We spent about 4000 and that included the space, chairs/tables, music(jazz trio), wedding cake,AND food. We used a local caterer that made great sandwichs, hot and cold apps, breads, salads, and all the fixings. People to this day remember the food more than anything else.. It was great!!
That was 7 years ago, so I am sure prices have gone up....

Durham Arts Council The Arts Council staff was SO friendly and professional. Their rental prices are right on the site too

Old 07-01-2011, 06:55 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
We are still looking for places to get married. I have contacted many of the places that have been suggested before. For either the price and/or date have not worked out. My biggest thing I come across is that we are so small (20) and some people want $3000.00 minimum for food. (That's a lot of food for 20 people) Long distance planning is not so easy. I tried a search and came up with no results. So, here I am. I am wondering if anyone has been married, is planning on getting married, photographed, catered or attended a wedding at the North Carolina Museum of History. We are contemplating a small wedding, and one of the places we are looking at is the museum. Since it is so small (20) the room we will be having it at is the Demonstration Gallery.
Just in case you haven't looked into it yet, the City Museum downtown is a great venue for a small event. They are also flexible on who you use for caterers.
Museum Rental Raleigh City Museum (http://www.raleighcitymuseum.org/rental_rates.shtml - broken link)

This website can be helpful also when looking for a venue:
Raleigh sites

Best wishes!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:18 AM

804 posts, read 2,005,345 times
i have not been to a wedding there but we did attend a wedding reception there. we also attended a work christmas dinner in the gallery when the pirates exhibit was there. since the wedding reception we attended was approximately 150 people, the dinner party was probably closer to what you may envision so i'll give you details on that.

we had about 24 people in attendance. they had the gallery set up with a long table in it. our boss's wife did all the decorations for it (she's quite the creative & does beautiful work). i believe they had the museum itself cater it & the food was quite good. you can select other caterers, as well. i do know that alcohol was served but because it's a state building, it is required to have a police officer in attendance at all times. the officer we had was quite humorous & made it not seem superweird.

good luck on finding a venue. have you considered the chapel at mordecai? we had a friend with a very small wedding (about 25 in attendance). they had their wedding at the teeny (but beautiful) chapel at mordecai in downtown raleigh & then zipped over to caffé luna for a reception. simple, elegant, & they have gorgeous photos. not sure of your budget for everything, but here's links to both those venues:

here's pictures of the mordecai chapel for reference:
Weddings at St. Mark

rental info for the chapel:
Mordecai Rental Information - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

caffé luna
Caffe Luna Private Events

Old 07-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
i have not been to a wedding there but we did attend a wedding reception there. we also attended a work christmas dinner in the gallery when the pirates exhibit was there. since the wedding reception we attended was approximately 150 people, the dinner party was probably closer to what you may envision so i'll give you details on that.

we had about 24 people in attendance. they had the gallery set up with a long table in it. our boss's wife did all the decorations for it (she's quite the creative & does beautiful work). i believe they had the museum itself cater it & the food was quite good. you can select other caterers, as well. i do know that alcohol was served but because it's a state building, it is required to have a police officer in attendance at all times. the officer we had was quite humorous & made it not seem superweird.

good luck on finding a venue. have you considered the chapel at mordecai? we had a friend with a very small wedding (about 25 in attendance). they had their wedding at the teeny (but beautiful) chapel at mordecai in downtown raleigh & then zipped over to caffé luna for a reception. simple, elegant, & they have gorgeous photos. not sure of your budget for everything, but here's links to both those venues:

here's pictures of the mordecai chapel for reference:
Weddings at St. Mark

rental info for the chapel:
Mordecai Rental Information - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

caffé luna
Caffe Luna Private Events
Thanks LoopdeLoop for the information. I have contacted all the people that you have mentioned. Cafe Luna is booked for both days. I have contacted them regarding possibly catering but she is out of the office. The St Mark's Chapel is booked for Saturday, although I did send an email to see if they are available Sunday.

I did just hear that Lake Cabetree is available. So we might consider that. I received an email from the lady at the museum and she stated that there is another area of the museum that is available but it is not listed. She wants my fiance to come Tuesday to view it.

Originally, we were going to be married in AZ in Sedona but once my fiance had a chance to relocate back, we changed plans. We figured this way, my family could drive from NY.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
Just in case you haven't looked into it yet, the City Museum downtown is a great venue for a small event. They are also flexible on who you use for caterers.
Museum Rental Raleigh City Museum (http://www.raleighcitymuseum.org/rental_rates.shtml - broken link)

This website can be helpful also when looking for a venue:
Raleigh sites

Best wishes!
Thanks mizunomom, I will contact that museum too.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM

804 posts, read 2,005,345 times
you may want to consider thinking outside the box on times/dates of your wedding. since we have no idea the date you are considering, i will say that things book fast around here for saturday day/afternoon/evening weddings & events. i'm sure you're already considering it but keep in mind that friday evening events & sunday afternoon/evening events can be just as lovely, easier to book, & more cost-effective. the wedding i mentioned at the chapel in mordecai with the reception at caffé luna was a friday evening wedding/reception which worked out great on many accounts.

i'm sure that we could perhaps give other recommendations based on your budget, date considerations, & area considerations (i.e., are you only considering raleigh or other places like durham, chapel hill, hillsborough, beaches, etc.? i believe that you were at least considering duke gardens so i suspect you are just thinking triangle area?). i believe october was when you were considering things. we had friends get married in september at a tiny chapel down in the kill devil hills/nags head area. i can't recall the specific one as it was years ago, but they had a small event that was quite affordable & charming. it think they had a friday evening wedding/reception, as well.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
you may want to consider thinking outside the box on times/dates of your wedding. since we have no idea the date you are considering, i will say that things book fast around here for saturday day/afternoon/evening weddings & events. i'm sure you're already considering it but keep in mind that friday evening events & sunday afternoon/evening events can be just as lovely, easier to book, & more cost-effective. the wedding i mentioned at the chapel in mordecai with the reception at caffé luna was a friday evening wedding/reception which worked out great on many accounts.

i'm sure that we could perhaps give other recommendations based on your budget, date considerations, & area considerations (i.e., are you only considering raleigh or other places like durham, chapel hill, hillsborough, beaches, etc.? i believe that you were at least considering duke gardens so i suspect you are just thinking triangle area?). i believe october was when you were considering things. we had friends get married in september at a tiny chapel down in the kill devil hills/nags head area. i can't recall the specific one as it was years ago, but they had a small event that was quite affordable & charming. it think they had a friday evening wedding/reception, as well.
Our date is October 8th. It is Columbus Day weekend which is good because just about everyone (even myself) will be traveling out of state to be at the wedding. With only 20 people we are looking at $2500. Because after the wedding, well at least nine months after, I will be relocating to NC to be with my husband. We'd rather spend the money on relocation when the times come.

I did just find out that St. Mark's Chapel is available on the 9th. So now we may change the date, since I have nothing else booked. I am open to other areas too. I only have very limited knowledge of NC, my fiancée is in the Raleigh area, so I have been looking in that area. I have looked at Durham, Bahama, Cary and Chapel Hill. Either way, I don't want the reception and ceremony area to be too far apart.

I will be fortunate, that as far as I know, my family is driving down and will have transportation. I am open to changing to Sunday but not a Friday. As it is, my family will be taking off Friday (everyone is off Monday). This way, I was figuring we could have some time to spend with them. I haven't seen them in two years.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:55 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,505,374 times
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not but you may also want to check out 111 place in Cary. One Eleven Place - The Place for Business and Social Events

I had my reception here and it was awesome. They allow outside catering and from what I remember it wasn't that expensive. Best part about it was that when you rented it, you got it for the whole day so you don't have to worry about the wedding before you running over....

Good luck and congratulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary