Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 PM

804 posts, read 2,006,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
I could use opinions on the following locations:

1) Midtown Grille
2)Irregardless Cafe
3) Margaux's

We're still searching for locations. Thanks again.
i've been to margaux's & cannot say that i personally would recommend it for a reception. the food was good but the atmostphere wasn't one i'd necessarily see working for that. furthermore, i think it's a bit far from your ceremony location, but that's me.

irregardless is a nice space with good food. of the three, i'd recommend that one.

i know nothing about midtown grille.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 PM

448 posts, read 852,407 times
Default Finally Decided

Thank you all for all your feedback. We have decided to go with Busy Bee Cafe. My fiance looked at the list of places that I had narrowed down and he liked Busy Bee the best.

Now to plan the rest of the wedding... photographer, flowers...

Who would have thought that City-data would play such a big part in my wedding planning. I found the chapel and reception venue thanks to everyone here who gave input.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:30 PM

awesome to hear. glad we could help. we wish you luck with the rest of the wedding planning. let us know if you have further questions about different vendors in the area!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Question Good bakeries

Well we are almost to the finish line. We have almost all the arrangements finished. We booked our tickets and our hotel reservations. Excited that my family is driving down, staying at the same hotel and will be there Friday through Tuesday. I have my dress and went for my fitting, should be done 9/14. We hired a violinist and cello musicians to play during the ceremony and Woody @ Busy Bee threw in a DJ for a really good price.

However, talking to my mother this morning brought up the issue of a cake. Since I have no ideas about bakeries there in Raleigh, I told my mom that I would hit here for suggestions. So what bakeries do you suggest for a wedding cake. Due to small wedding, it does not need to be anything very big but I would love for it to be good and not break the bank.

Thanks for your opinions.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:37 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,312,606 times
We got a cake last year from Edible Arts for my in-laws' 50th anniversary. It was beautiful, and tasted wonderful.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
We got a cake last year from Edible Arts for my in-laws' 50th anniversary. It was beautiful, and tasted wonderful.
Thanks for the suggestions. I found their site, they had some nice looking cakes. I emailed them.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:37 AM

i would second edible art. while they can be expensive, i imagine that a smaller cake would be more in your budget. i love their amaretto cake so much i'm craving it now.

About Us

you may also be surprised at how nice cakes can be from whole foods, especially given the smaller size that you may need. can't hurt to look.

Bakery | WholeFoodsMarket.com (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/bakery.php - broken link)

hayes barton in five points also makes delectable (& huge, gorgeous, yummy) cakes. their cakes are insanely huge (i'd estimate almost a foot high?) & they sell in a ton of flavors. their coconut is especially popular (& pretty).

Hayes Barton Cafe @ Five Points in Raleigh NC (919) 856-8551

Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM

100 posts, read 289,681 times
We got our wedding cakes from Whole Foods for our wedding a few years ago. We got several cakes in different flavors. They had something called a Celebration Cake. It was essentially a six inch round cake on top of a 10 inch cake so it looked like a miniature wedding cake. Throw some fresh flowers on top and Voila! It sounds like it would be the perfect size for what you want. Their cakes are delicious, too. We figured out that we saved about 40% on the cakes with Whole Foods compared to the quotes we got from other bakeries. People at the wedding RAVED about how good they were and how beautiful they looked. Congratulations and good luck.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
i would second edible art. while they can be expensive, i imagine that a smaller cake would be more in your budget. i love their amaretto cake so much i'm craving it now.

About Us

you may also be surprised at how nice cakes can be from whole foods, especially given the smaller size that you may need. can't hurt to look.

Bakery | WholeFoodsMarket.com (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/bakery.php - broken link)

hayes barton in five points also makes delectable (& huge, gorgeous, yummy) cakes. their cakes are insanely huge (i'd estimate almost a foot high?) & they sell in a ton of flavors. their coconut is especially popular (& pretty).

Hayes Barton Cafe @ Five Points in Raleigh NC (919) 856-8551
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachgab View Post
We got our wedding cakes from Whole Foods for our wedding a few years ago. We got several cakes in different flavors. They had something called a Celebration Cake. It was essentially a six inch round cake on top of a 10 inch cake so it looked like a miniature wedding cake. Throw some fresh flowers on top and Voila! It sounds like it would be the perfect size for what you want. Their cakes are delicious, too. We figured out that we saved about 40% on the cakes with Whole Foods compared to the quotes we got from other bakeries. People at the wedding RAVED about how good they were and how beautiful they looked. Congratulations and good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea about Whole Foods celebration cakes. I certainly do not want a large cake. One of my student's parents makes cakes, which is what we were going to do when we were getting married here in PHX but I don't think it would ship too good to NC

Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,847,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I found their site, they had some nice looking cakes. I emailed them.
Edible Arts has some great-looking cakes, but I am not crazy about the taste of them. Often the kind of icing they use to make them pretty isn't as tasty as a more buttercream kind. It tends to have a marzipan flavor, to me (maybe you love marzipan; I find it a little "plastic"-tasting).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary