Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,303,081 times

Advertisements

I have been to Irregardless (Morgn Street, ITB) a couple of times in the last month or so. Really good -- highly recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 04:36 PM

550 posts, read 1,492,426 times
Caffe Luna and Bloomsbury Bistro are my recommendations. I've never had dinner at Second Empire -- just drinks and dessert in the tavern.

Poole's usually has good food, but they're a little pretentious for my taste. Haricots Verts? Yeah, those are just green beans, you posers. Plus, the last time I went there a couple of the things we got weren't very good, which is unacceptable when you're dropping $90 on dinner, IMO.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 AM

355 posts, read 959,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
Poole's usually has good food, but they're a little pretentious for my taste. Haricots Verts? Yeah, those are just green beans, you posers.
Actually, the term haricots verts is useful as it describes a thinner bean, which is often more flavorful than the typical plump green beans served in most places. While it translates the same, it's not quite the same and the distinction on menus is useful and will give you a better idea of what will arrive on your plate.

Last edited by Clever User Name; 05-15-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 11:39 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,375,433 times
Here are some of the places I've eaten at and liked (and a few listed above that I didn't like quite as much)

My favorites:
Four Square
I've eaten here twice, and loved it both times. Excellent food in a nice, restored Victorian home. Felt a bit more "causal" than the other two listed in this category.
Nana's
I've eaten here several times, and always had a great meal. It doesn't look impressive on the outside, but don't let that fool you.
Fearrington House
Expensive, but excellent food and service. If you can swing it, get a room at the Fearrington Inn, have the afternoon tea, and walk to/from the restaurant for your meal.
Next tier (still very good, but for whatever reason I preferred the ones above):
Magnolia Grill
Good food, noisy atmosphere. I've eaten here several times, but always seem to prefer the food and atmosphere from the other restaurants listed above.
Second Empire
Beautiful old home, great place for a "special" meal. Absolutely nothing wrong with the place, I just like some of the other ones better. Note if you want a more "casual" atmosphere, you can eat at the Tavern downstairs and order anything off either the Tavern's menu or Second Empire's menu.
Bloomsbury Bistro
It has been too long since I've been here. It is nice, but when I'm heading out for a fancy meal I just tend to choose some of the other options listed here.
Less expensive but still very good:
Rue Cler
I really like this place. Casual with good food. I prefer the dinner menu over the lunch menu.
Disappointed by the meal (for various reasons):
Il Palio
I've eaten at supposedly excellent restaurants within a hotel before, and seldom come out thrilled with the experience. Il Palio was no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary