Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:46 AM

68 posts, read 125,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
I am on easy pay and they draft my account each month also from Coastal. Never had an issue. As a matter of fact tehy even lowered my auto pay starting this month by 20 bucks!!!
well, maybe I will do it through Coastal instead, at least they have nice customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 09:48 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,212,536 times
Grrr...I can't stand Coastal either, but that's a whole 'nother topic. They've screwed up my accounts more times than I can count!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM

699 posts, read 1,712,849 times
Yesterday Progress Energy rep asked if I wanted to enroll in a service in which during peak use times the electricity to our air conditioner would be cut, though the fan would still be able to circulate air. We would receive $25/year for enrolling in this program.

Do without A/C on the hottest days of the summer in order to save $25 a year?

Does anyone actually do this?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:47 AM

735 posts, read 1,593,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
Yesterday Progress Energy rep asked if I wanted to enroll in a service in which during peak use times the electricity to our air conditioner would be cut, though the fan would still be able to circulate air. We would receive $25/year for enrolling in this program.

I chuckle at those letters prior to shredding it. Maybe a 25% discount annually, but I doubt I'd even do that.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 AM

932 posts, read 3,108,437 times
Maybe you should call back and speak to someone else. I'm sure not everyone in their customer service department is rude. I used to work for them. If you're nice and explain the situation, they would probably give you a credit. You catch more bees with honey than vinegar.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:16 AM

4,338 posts, read 6,054,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post

Yes, we do it.

You're not really doing without A/C...they'll cycle your compressor on an off at 10-15 minute intervals for up to four hours. They only do it on weekdays during the day, and they can only do it a certain number of times per year. You can also call in and exempt yourself from the program two days per year if you have a special need when they start cycling you.

They say you can expect a one-degree rise per hour in house temp under the system on the hottest days, so like 4 degrees if they ran for the max time on a given day.

That said, I've never noticed the program in effect at my house, so either they haven't needed to use it or it's completely unnoticeable to me. And I work from home, so I'm there if it's in effect.

Maybe it's having moved from California where we had rolling blackouts during heat waves, but I'm happy to contribute to reducing load at times of peak demand. Without it, they'd have to be building more power plant capacity (and jacking rates to pay for it) than they're currently doing. And I get $25 for participating in a program that hasn't negatively affected my quality of life one bit.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 25,050,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart517 View Post
But that isn't what I did. It isn't the automatic draft, its just where you enter your info and then when your bill comes you hop online and click pay and its done. No re-entering info everytime.
Sorry, I should have quoted the post I was replying to. It was this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
I am on easy pay and they draft my account each month also from Coastal. Never had an issue.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:12 PM

515 posts, read 1,722,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart517 View Post
But that isn't what I did. It isn't the automatic draft, its just where you enter your info and then when your bill comes you hop online and click pay and its done. No re-entering info everytime. Its like when you make a credit purchase online, except if you add an incorrect digit there, automatically it says "nope!" but in this case it said, "Thank you! Your payment has gone through!" when mysteriously it didn't (2 weeks later).

I tried calling back today but the guy told me e-bill is a third party provider that charges them, so they pass it along. I asked him to make a suggestion to at least alert someone if they incorrectly entered their bank info so they could change it before charging them money. Whatever, I bet this "accident" happens all the time. Seeing as how they made it impossible for me to check and see if I even had entered my info incorrectly and they suspiciously didn't have any access to that info either! Well I am going to call coastal and have them print something out for me showing that I had money in there at the time so it actually wasn't insufficient funds. At least then maybe that news investigator can expose these monopoly jerks. I thought PEPCO in DC was bad, Sheesh! Those people are saints compared to Progress!
Somewhere there is bad info being given out. I have my coastal account drafted each month BY Progress for my monthly bill and never had an issue with Progress drafting the wrong amount or with Coastal messing anythign up. Been doing this for 8 years. There is zero charge for this.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 PM

892 posts, read 3,173,573 times
I hate this thread - just a horrible story. I hope you found/find someone helpful at Progess Energy to right all the wrongs. Be patient - darn it!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 PM

492 posts, read 1,157,653 times
Been a customer since 1990, never had an issue and we've moved 3 times in Raleigh and have never been required to pay a deposit. I have always paid them thru my own bank's billpay. I never, ever allow anyone access to my checking account. I work for a bank and have heard some awful stories. I would rather see my bill and pay on my own terms than fight a bank and/or company to get my money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary