Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:46 PM

596 posts, read 1,244,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
I cant speak for the job aspect, but as a MA transplant to NC and a parent of 3 children, this area has what you are looking for in regards to the other aspects. I would highly suggest driving down to get a look at the area before you make a commitment though. What is one persons dream area is another persons nightmare.
That is soooo true !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 06:04 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,557,718 times
with the winter you guy's just had...I could see you moving quickly!

we moved here 12 yrs ago, with no family or friends down here...guess what? Some have followed us down! yay!

great place to raise a family - great weather, lots of new englander's to make you feel at home.

Take a vacation or two down here in the triangle as you start to job search and such to get a feel for the area. I'd visit in the summer as well as the spring and fall to make sure you can deal with all the temps...

Old 03-11-2011, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,588 times
My family and I moved here from Boston in 2009 and we looooove it here. It's a great middle ground between big city and small town. Great access to nature, but lots to do in town as well.
Chapel Hill is more expensive as far as housing (nothing compared to Boston though!) and has a reputation for great public schools. I live in Southwest Durham and find that the neighborhoods are really nice, the houses more affordable, and I feel very safe here. South of I-40 has some nice newer neighborhoods, and the Woodcroft area just north of 40 has some lovely neighborhoods.
I didn't know anyone prior to moving here, but I've found people very friendly and we've befriended several families.
Getting around is so very easy. Buses in Chapel Hill are free and run decent schedules. Traffic is virtually non-existent.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:32 PM

279 posts, read 705,324 times
I second what some have said about not having family here and lack of a big city feel. I moved from Maine with no family here. Nobody is following us either. I miss things like taking the Amtrak from Portland to Boston. Being 30 minutes to the beach and 1 hour to the mountains. Unfortunately for us, we did not move to a s/d that is plentiful with transplants. Nobody here talks to us, they might wave to us or nod their head, but thats it.
Just think about it.
When we move back, I do not look forward to the long winters, but I will NOT miss the oppressive and long summers here in NC.
There is no perfect place to live. NC is nice, but without family and friends I just can't wait to move back.

Last edited by BeachBound2012; 03-11-2011 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM

306 posts, read 437,837 times
I say you should move there if you want to.

There are always jobs for smart people with good backgrounds and a strong work ethic.

Don't take advice too seriously from people on here, including myself.

Decide what you want out of life, make a plan, make sure you can afford it and just make it happen.

You only live once.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Please think it over well before you move, after living in So Fl for nearly 30 yrs and born and raised in NYC. This is a beautiful state but without freinds and family it gets very lonely and boring after a short while, again I am not trashing NC but it takes a lot of effort to make it work, it lacks that "Big City" feel. It tries but in my opinion it fails, again having lived in FT Lauderdale and NYC. Having school age children I imagine will help a great deal because you meet people a little easier through your kids, school etc. It lacks decent Mass transit, as does So Fl. Most of the fun stuff that we do involves day trips to the mountains or the beach, but with gas prices rising, that gets expensive. Though I love the Mountains. Again first and foremost what makes it easier to adjust here is Family or friends, and without neither I am miserable at times ! So please think it out, and best of luck to you and your family !
Good advise ,it does help to know people.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Please think it over well before you move, after living in So Fl for nearly 30 yrs and born and raised in NYC. This is a beautiful state but without freinds and family it gets very lonely and boring after a short while, again I am not trashing NC but it takes a lot of effort to make it work, it lacks that "Big City" feel.
Well...if you are looking for the Big City, then the Raleigh Area is definitely not for you. However, I have to disagree with it getting very lonely and boring. We moved here 4 years ago...we have no family here but have made great new friends and have a great church family. If you are looking for a great place to raise a family, I think this is a great place.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 19,076 times
We both understand we're not moving to New York or Boston. We're looking for a nice, quiet safe place to raise a family and continue our careers. Having two school age kids should make meeting new people easier, but I appreciate the concerns about being lonely.

We have lots of friends who have moved away, and have done alright making new friends in their new locations.

Everyone's feedback has been terrific - if we move down, it will be with a full arsenal of information!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM

426 posts, read 1,493,057 times
\We relocated from MA in 2007. We lived out in the country, so my experience is probably different from those who lived in the city.

The cost of living is not nearly as cheap as its sometimes made out to be. Salaries are generally lower. Housing, property tax and insurance are cheaper. Income & sales tax, groceries, utilities and services (doctors, dentists ) are more expensive. For us it pretty much all evened out except we got a bigger/nicer house and Dh has a much shorter commute. If you are relocating from Boston it self, NYC etc. you might find it cheaper but many of the transplants Ive spoken to feel the way I do.

In general I find people friendlier but I also definately encounter a "keeping up with the Joneses" and "cliques" mentality which I cant stand. I guess you get that everywhere!

Weather is nice, except it gets quite hot in August. I'll take that over the long cold winters though.

We are neutral about the area. Moving here wasnt really a choice (Dh's job). I dont see us living here indefinately. We dont have any family in the US, so are not tied down to a spesific area. We hope to eventually move more south/mid west. Done with the north!

Best of luck!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:05 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,930,913 times
Eat a Kelly's roast beef before you move, because it will be your last roast beef since they don't exist in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary