Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 AM

68 posts, read 185,834 times

Advertisements

We are strongly considering living in Clayton but it is such a big area, there is so much to learn! My concern is most of the neighborhoods we have loved so far are further south or west (Riverwood, Glen Laurel, Broodmoor) - but if possible we would prefer to have closer access to retail etc, not to mention I may be traveling to Durham on a regular basis. Any suggestions for family oriented neighborhoods (with community pool, $250-300K range) in North or Northwest Clayton or am I way off base here? Any projections for where commercial development in Clayton will be focused in the next 5-10 years? I've read that Clayton may be the "New Cary." I guess that's good or bad depending on who you ask Any/all input appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,910,739 times
Is there a reason you chose Clayton? It's a long drive to Durham. you could be much closer and within your price range.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 AM

Yes, we are looking at Clayton for several reasons (including schools) but mostly hubby's job. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,910,739 times
If Clayton is the new Cary, I would say that's based on the amount of residential growth expected. Although I have not heard this nor do I know much about Clayton's expected growth in terms of where and what type is projected. I wouldn't expect Clayton's home prices to be in the Cary range as Cary has the benefit of being close to RTP and Durham. And, as Clayton grows, so will the traffic on 70 and 40. Traveling to Durham from there can already be a bear from what I hear. For it to worsen over the next few years might make it unattractive to folks who work in RTP Durham and N/NW Raleigh. Sorry, don't mean to sound negative.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,452,684 times
Broadmoor may be as close as you get to retail and easiest travel to Durham from Clayton (if that is really possible). The 40 / 42 area is probably ground zero for growth. The second point of growth will be the 50 / 40 area of McGee's X Roads. If you want Clayton area schools, you are sort of limited to the developments you mentioned, assuming that is the real estate you really want to be in.
There is also Flowers Plantation and Portofino (both east of Glen Laurel) . Also there is Hunter's Ridge (I think) near River Dell Elementary off Buffalo and Jordan-Narron Road. There are other areas that may not be as expensive that could meet your needs of retail and schools. From what I know the Cleveland area is probably the better schools--though Clayton High has been mentioned as well. Ultimately the schools are Johnston County institutions.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM

1,515 posts, read 7,004,233 times
FYI: I work in Durham and I live in Clayton.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:42 AM

31,711 posts, read 41,227,925 times
I am completely unable to see any comparisons between Cary and Clayton. You can drive 15 miles on 42 and see more pickup trucks then a day of driving in Cary. Perhaps the potential was there a few years ago but with the current down turn in housing and the economy I can't see it. Nothing the matter with pick up trucks, just the give a more rural feel to the area compared to Cary.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:17 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,940,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am completely unable to see any comparisons between Cary and Clayton. You can drive 15 miles on 42 and see more pickup trucks then a day of driving in Cary. Perhaps the potential was there a few years ago but with the current down turn in housing and the economy I can't see it. Nothing the matter with pick up trucks, just the give a more rural feel to the area compared to Cary.

15 miles along 42 going West, not so much. At least not as much as you used to. 15 miles going East on 42, though, another story. Either way, you wouldn't be in Clayton anymore. Plus when People say Clayton, they mean Clayton along/close to 40 and 70 (which 42 bisects)

Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,372,146 times
The area around Flowers Plantation, including Glen Laurel, tends to be the more desirable area of Clayton but there are other new neighborhoods in the area.

The comparison of Clayton to Cary is based upon the amount of people from up North relocating to the area. Folks in Clayton are now laughingly calling Clayton "The New Cary".

Have you looked at Summerset Place? I showed Palmetto Place, in Flowers, today. Cute homes between $225,000 to $250,000. Very unique plans. Custom built.

Vicki

Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 AM

Thanks! Any feedback/experience with Hannah's Creek? Do they have community pool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary