Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 08:52 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,030,024 times

Advertisements

Am I wasting my time if I buy the $30 seats for Lion King in the last few rows, in the very back at DPAC? That's all the post-Christmas budget will allow, but if I won't be able to make out what's going on down on the stage, I'll save my money. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 09:34 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,987,071 times
On the DPAC site, you can click on the seating chart and it will show you a view from the section. Then you can decide.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,259,066 times
I've been to many shows at DPAC and I don't think there is a bad seat in the house.

The Lion King is a wonderful show. Worth going to. Take your binoculars, in case. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Vicki

Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,030,024 times
Thank you both! I did check out the view and it looks better than what I imagined. If I go there to purchase tickets, can I avoid the fee? Or do I pay that regardless of whether I buy in person or online? Thanks again.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:38 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,720,580 times
Bad seats? I'd say there are a few. Avoid the seats up front along the left or right wall, like 312F. They don't have an unobstructed view of the entire stage.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:37 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,345,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Thank you both! I did check out the view and it looks better than what I imagined. If I go there to purchase tickets, can I avoid the fee? Or do I pay that regardless of whether I buy in person or online? Thanks again.
Yes, you can avoid the fee by going to the window, that's what I do. I am going to see Lion King too and am so excited!!!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:57 PM

520 posts, read 1,017,157 times
We had top section about 1/2 way back on the left side for Young Frankenstein & it was fine. There was one point in the show where the monster actually walked out into the audience & we lost sight of him for a few moments, but no biggie.

Vicki's suggestion of binoculars is a good one.
While you get the idea of what is going on if you want a good look at their faces you'll need them.

In general DPAC is a fantastic venue & we were very impressed. That was our 1st show there, but most certainly won't be our last!!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:04 PM

98 posts, read 231,892 times
I went for the first time there last week. Other shows that I was interested in, the seating charts looked bad for the seats available so I skipped them.

After going, I think all seating is just fine for being close enough just about anywhere. I am picky and won't pay/go to a show where I can't see better than if I was watching at home from a DVD or paying to go watch a show and only being able to see the people on the jumb tron things.

I went to Trans Siberian at RBC the week before and was expecting $8 to park, it was actually $10. One of the best concerts I've ever been to, but $10 to park?

I know from past trips to the RBC, that I don't like the food and it's overpriced. I don't even try anymore to get food there.

At DPAC, I paid $2 to park what I consider very close by and the food was both good and reasonable in price.

Each person I encountered working there was beyond nice and helpful to the point that I made sure to compliment a few.

During intermission when the bathrooms are so busy, they had a person directing to open stalls and another holding pre cut paper towels so you weren't waiting to getting your hands dry. When I picked up one paper towel, she asked "are you sure you wouldn't rather have two?".

I travel and see shows of whatever venue often...I recommend it highly.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 12,037 times
I've been to DPAC several times this year. Once was to see a comedian:.the other times were musicals. We had great seats for all.. Different seats in very different parts of theatre every time. My one disappointment each time - and this is important- was with the sound. It's LOUD. Ok when people are just speaking dialogue, but downright ear shattering during any full musical number! I've never experienced this type of problem before. Anyone else had this occur at DPAC?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethZ View Post
I've been to DPAC several times this year. Once was to see a comedian:.the other times were musicals. We had great seats for all.. Different seats in very different parts of theatre every time. My one disappointment each time - and this is important- was with the sound. It's LOUD. Ok when people are just speaking dialogue, but downright ear shattering during any full musical number! I've never experienced this type of problem before. Anyone else had this occur at DPAC?
How long ago did you have this issue? I believe that the DPAC added some more, permanent sound equipment back in October (before Billy Elliott), and it was to combat problems with acoustics. Perhaps they had the sound turned up high to compromise in the period before the new sound system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary