Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 10:13 PM

959 posts, read 4,495,443 times

Advertisements

The hubby used to play soccer at one of his former jobs. Does anyone know of a casual soccer group of any kind that he could get involved with that would be within 15-20 mins of SW Durham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 10:59 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,239,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
The hubby used to play soccer at one of his former jobs. Does anyone know of a casual soccer group of any kind that he could get involved with that would be within 15-20 mins of SW Durham?
Rainbow Soccer in Chapel Hill has adult "Wisely" soccer along with its youth rec program. I've played there, you get players of all different abilities, its a fun league.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 64,396 times
A good place to meet soccer people is to come to the pick up game at UNC's Carmichael fields every Sunday at 8 AM. We normally have around 30 to 40 people and we split into 2 or 3 games. The games are very friendly and you get to meet people from all over the area and learn about the games in other places and other times.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:37 PM

959 posts, read 4,495,443 times
Thank you for the tips! The pickup games in particular sound like they might be a good place for him to start since he hasn't played in several years.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,517 times
looking for a team to play soccer.any team that plays at twin lakes in durham, friday nights all saturdays

Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM

11 posts, read 31,906 times
I have played with the Rainbow "Wisely" league for a few seasons now and would definitely recommend them. I am 31 but there is a wide range of ages (20-50+) and skill level with the players. It is also co-ed. They describe it as non-competitive and for the most part it is however you will always get a few who think they are World Cup qualifying. They do two practices a week which is just basically a huge scrimmage. You can do teams and practice locations based on where you live so I ended up practicing not far from the Lowes in Chapel Hill (I live in SW Durham).

Another option would be the Orange County Adult Soccer League which is starting up in April. This league seems to have spurred from frustrations with the Rainbow officiating. I also get the sense that it is for those individuals who are hoping for a higher quality of play. I wouldn't be too intimidated with this however as there are so many other soccer leagues for the uber competitive. I can't imagine they would be happy with either Rainbow or OCASL. It is also considerably cheaper than Rainbow which was my deciding factor in joining this season.

During the off season there are pickup games at Ehringhaus Field at UNC each Saturday at 9:00am. Shoot me a message and I can send you a link to the message/email group.

Hope this is helpful!

Old 02-14-2012, 12:22 PM

13 posts, read 28,860 times
My hubby signed up with TASL

Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 AM

128 posts, read 413,176 times
I've played indoor soccer on leagues at the XLSoccerWorld in Raleigh. It's been a few years, but it was a lot of fun, the leagues had a nice range of age groups.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,984 times
The Wisely league now has certified referees and we enjoyed last year's experience. It is a non-contact league but perfect for most adults. Rainbow Soccer also have a league for 40+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary