Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,890,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Irregardless has been a local gem for 35 years, I think. I believe it was vegetarian-only when it opened, and this was back when Raleigh's restaurant scene was much more "Southern" than you find now (i.e., "What's a vegetarian?"). They were also the first restaurant in the area to go smoke-free, way before the laws. They used to regularly win the "best wait staff in the Triangle", and their Lemon Tahini salad dressing was (is) legendary.

Mmm, think it's time to make a reservation.....
Francois, you are bringing back memories! I moved here in the mid 70's and a friend took me there when it first opened, either late 74 or sometime in '75. I was mesmerized by the place and the people. It was totally vegetarian and excellent - especially the lemon Tahini, I was instantly hooked. But I never saw so many hippies in one place at a time The wait staff were excellent, so nice and friendly. They got off to a good start. I am so impressed that they've stayed the course, it's not easy in that business. Arthur Gordon is a very clever man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 06:40 PM

234 posts, read 824,294 times
As mentioned above try the Remedy Diner. My wife is a vegetarian and loves that place!

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
I am just kicking myself for waiting so long to avail myself of this fab. restaurant.

We don't eat out that much, so when we do, we tend to go to the 'new' restaurants that folks are talking about.

What are some more fab restaurants (for lunch) that I have been missing???

I have to say, I like lunch b/c it is a bit less expensive for some of these places & I can tie it into work travels or errands on a day off!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,883,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
But I never saw so many hippies in one place at a time
Well, there were a lot more hippies in general, in 1975 But yes, Irregardless was very what would now be called "crunchy" at first--but the concept of vegetarianism was still pretty "novel" in general, at that point (especially in smaller cities as we were)! I do also remember when the decor was much more, um, "austere" than it is now. But, it never "sold out" even when it added meat to the menu and had somewhat of a facelift to look a little more mainstream. A Raleigh landmark, then and now!

Old 10-29-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Well, there were a lot more hippies in general, in 1975
I knew someone would pick up on the hippie statement Of course I was being a smart alec Actually in Raleigh you rarely saw any, and not any Cali style hippies. Raleigh folks dressed pretty conservatively and or casually, most young ppl in jeans and t shirts. But there were a few birkenstock and tie dye types with wild hair. The women were pretty much the same only they wore that stinky patachouli or musk oil for perfume. As soon as you walked into the place the "perfume" would hit you

Old 10-29-2010, 05:32 AM

39 posts, read 95,396 times
Guess I will have to give IC another chance. Went there a few years ago and was very disappointed after high recommendations. Must of odered the wrong thing. What do I need to order next time? We are not vegetrian, but don't necessarily need meat.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 PM

532 posts, read 2,849,590 times
Default Lamishra - Thanks for the Thanksgiving Day Recommendation!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It's always been wonderful. We decided to go there for Thanksgiving dinner this year!
Lamishra, thanks to your "recommendation" we will spend Thanksgiving there this year as well. We stopped by there today and took a look around and got the skinny on what to expect Thanksgiving Day. Sounds like a lot of fun and good food.

Cstleddy

Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 AM

572 posts, read 1,305,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNC View Post
As mentioned above try the Remedy Diner. My wife is a vegetarian and loves that place!

John
Just a heads up to others, The Remedy Diner is not a vegetarian restaurant. They have some great vegetarian items, but I know many vegetarian folks who were disappointed when they arrived and saw animal items on the menu.

Yes, IC is and has been a local treasure for many, many years.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:59 PM

425 posts, read 1,259,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
Lamishra, thanks to your "recommendation" we will spend Thanksgiving there this year as well. We stopped by there today and took a look around and got the skinny on what to expect Thanksgiving Day. Sounds like a lot of fun and good food.

Cstleddy
Husband and I are also going to have Thanksgiving there as well! Looking forward to it!

Old 10-30-2010, 04:25 PM

102 posts, read 205,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I knew someone would pick up on the hippie statement Of course I was being a smart alec Actually in Raleigh you rarely saw any, and not any Cali style hippies. Raleigh folks dressed pretty conservatively and or casually, most young ppl in jeans and t shirts. But there were a few birkenstock and tie dye types with wild hair. The women were pretty much the same only they wore that stinky patachouli or musk oil for perfume. As soon as you walked into the place the "perfume" would hit you

Any hippies still around? Any cool hippy bars?

Old 10-30-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers View Post
Any hippies still around? Any cool hippy bars?
Don't know. If they are they are "new" hippies, wannabees The hippies I knew are now small business owners or in real estate - they sold out to the "man" I think they've moved on from drinking and smoking to juicing and colonics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary