Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,549,163 times

Advertisements

Dallas-based Affiliated Computer Services, part of Xerox, plans to add 600 workers at its Raleigh call center, bringing employment there to about 1,050. The company, which will employ about 1,500 in the Triangle, says the new employees will serve a consumer-electronics company. ACS and Xerox will employ about 3,600 in the state once the new hires are completed.

Affiliated Computer Services to hire 600 in Raleigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 04:53 PM

16 posts, read 33,190 times
That sounds really great, but I heard ACS is really awful to work for. Anyone currently working there that can offer some insight? How are they these days? Good/Bad/Indifferent?

Old 10-06-2010, 01:28 PM

70 posts, read 78,438 times
Yayy, call center jobs where you can get screamed at by angry callers for near minimum wage! That's looking to be our future.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:49 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,261,264 times
I'm sure there are lots of folks that would be happy with any job, at this point. I'm happy to hear that there are companies hiring.

Vicki

Old 10-06-2010, 02:08 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,497,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcscottage View Post
That sounds really great, but I heard ACS is really awful to work for. Anyone currently working there that can offer some insight? How are they these days? Good/Bad/Indifferent?
Hopefully things will change with Xerox coming into play. But, yes I have heard the same thing from you from several that worked or are working there.

Most of the jobs there also pay more than min wage, fyi. It is good to hear places are hiring, but they are quickly getting a rep of a place that nobody wants to work at.

Vicki- you would be suprised at some jobs that are out there that even people that haven't worked in over a year will not consider. It is very strange. I talk to people all the time that wouldn't consider jobs like this.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:37 PM

4,305 posts, read 5,995,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncav4 View Post
Yayy, call center jobs where you can get screamed at by angry callers for near minimum wage! That's looking to be our future.
Wait, I'm confused. I thought the future was supposed to be offshoring jobs like these.

600 positions is quite a few...wonder what company is behind the surge. I know Apple uses ACS, and they've certainly been booming.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 PM

70 posts, read 78,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Wait, I'm confused. I thought the future was supposed to be offshoring jobs like these.

I meant crappy, low paying jobs is looking to be our future. But hey, everyone seems to be satisfied with that, people should take what they can get right?

Old 10-06-2010, 05:02 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,866,186 times
many consumer companies are now bringing offshore call center jobs back onshore because of customer complaints about poor service and poor spoken English. Dell for instance has bought customer facing jobs back from India but left back office work there. Amongst the other reasons for this are wage inflation of up to 30% a year in India, and the fact that they now have difficulty getting people to work at night to meet daytime calls from US customers - India is +9.5 hours ahead of EST and +12.5 hours ahead of PST. Indian call center workers who expect unsocial hours payments for working these shifts. With people prepared to take minimum wages in the US to do this type of work things have gone full circle with it almost being the same cost to do the work here with better quality than do it offshore. These days it is the higher value IT jobs that are being offshored rather than the front end customer facing jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post

600 positions is quite a few...wonder what company is behind the surge. I know Apple uses ACS, and they've certainly been booming.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 PM

271 posts, read 701,217 times
I heard too that ACS is a real tough place to work. Kinda treat you like cattle

Old 01-14-2011, 08:04 PM

43 posts, read 186,752 times
Anyone here working at ACS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary