Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:41 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,148 times

Advertisements

I live in Falls River and telecommute from a 1st floor office in my house. Occassionally I hear a low rumble and feel my house shake ever so slightly for about 1 second. I usually run outside and expect to see a huge delivery truck slamming closed it's rolling rear door but the street is empty and the neighborhood is quiet. Nothing in the house rattles. But I can hear a low volume rumble and feel the floor vibrate slightly, usually for only a second or so.

Most of the neighbors have no idea what I'm talking about so I was actually thinking it was something wrong with utilities in my house. However, the neighbor across the street finally felt the same thing.

Some searching here on the forums turned up that there's an active quarry behind the estate section of Bedford and some people have reported shaking in that section of the development during blasting. Bingo! Except I'm nowhere near the estate section of Bedford, I'm probably 1-2 miles away. Though that could still be it.

I'd like to phone the quarry to compare their blasting schedule with the date/time of the rumbling I notice. But I'm not able to figure out what the name of the quarry is or how to contact them.

I'm sure someone reading this has more details on the quarry, or is smarter at how to locate it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
If this is the quarry off Capital Blvd., Google Maps identifies it as Hanson Aggregates.

10501 Capital Boulevard
Wake Forest, North Carolina 27587
(919) 556-4011

Old 10-04-2010, 09:14 AM

Not sure why I couldn't locate that myself. But thank you. I phoned and they confirmed their blasting schedule against my notes. Like I said, most of the neighbors had no idea what I was talking about. And they've lived here for many more years than I do. It's barely noticeable and I was just more curious what the source was and that it wasn't my hot water heater building up pressure and about to explode or something.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
What part of Falls River are you in? I live inbetween Bedford and Falls River and I've never felt a rumble from the quarry. Weird!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 AM

I'm not far from the Cokesbury park. I'm sure I only notice it as

1. I have dog-like senses
2. I sit in a chair on my 1st floor during the work day
3. I'm just lucky like this. Haha. I'm also the guy that finds the hulls in their bowl of oatmeal, or pieces of plastic in their plate of restaurant food, etc. etc.

It's extremely minor. The one neighbor that had any idea what I was talking about thought it might be a sonic boom and had no idea there was even a quarry remotely close to the area. I've experienced actual earthquakes in California and NY and it's nothing remotely like that. It's really as if someone slammed a big door nearby. Nothing rattles.

They did say they have a pre-call list you can get on. So if you're curious and want to specifically tune yourself into TRYING to notice it, get on their list, and I'm assuming they call you with the specific time they'll blast. Then you can sit around with your ear to the ground or something and see what happens. Sounds like fun! Haha. People will think you're listening for the sound of a the bad guy's horses like in those old Western movies.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,447,848 times
My friend in the Estates called them, and they came out an did an assessment for her. Everything was fine.

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,509 times
We are across the street from the estate homes and our house shakes. Some of our neighbors ended up putting putty on the backs of their pictures on the wall so they don't have to straighten them out all the time.

The first time my neighbor heard/felt it he was upstairs and he thought the refrigerator fell over. Lol.

That's interesting about the pre-call list. We had a group of neighbors that did some research and talked to the quarry, but we were never told about a pre-call list. This was before the estate section was built--probably 5 or 6 years ago now.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
I had a client that was considering buying in Bedford/Falls River. She had heard about the quarry and the landfill and wanted more information. I checked with my other clients in the area and also the Agents at my company that live in Bedford/Falls River. NO ONE said they ever felt any movement from the quarry.

I guess either some people are very sensitive to it or it only affects a few homes! But, it is there!

Vicki

Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,939 times
we hear it often! the house shakes and we hear a rumble.
just happened at 2:05pm 12/30/10

did someone find a blast schedule? if so, does it match the time and date above?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Like I said above, you can phone the quarry and ask to be put on the pre-call list. Then you'll know for sure. (919) 556-4011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary