Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,502 times

Advertisements

I've been having continuous dropped connections with TWC Internet over the past one month. They came in 4 times and claimed to have fixed it, the latest being yesterday when they finally swapped out my old modem for a new one, but today morning I am back to square one with the dropped connections (I am getting connected and reconnected to the Internet as I am typing this). So long story short, I am looking for alternatives to TWC Road Runner for zip 27587. I don't need phone or cable TV, just high-speed Internet, preferably cable and not DSL.

What are my options? Am I forever stuck with these losers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,480 times
The only real alternative is AT&T FastAccess DSL or, if you can get it, AT&T Uverse. Not sure why you prefer cable over DSL especially after having problems like this. There is no other cable provider in your area. Technically you can get internet from earthlink, but they are just selling you TWC internet in another name (you are still on TWC's cable network, and still relying on TWC support).

It sounds to me like TWC needs to install a new line from the pedestal to your home. Have they done this?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 AM

208 posts, read 633,560 times
I'm not aware of any other options...I have DSL and can't tell the difference between it and cable, I'd suggest giving that another look fast and reliable for me..

AT&T offers something I think but I believe it's rather costly.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,209 times
The DSL out in Wake Forest may be serviced by CenturyLink instead of AT&T - I think it depends on your neighborhood. We switched to AT&T DSL and haven't noticed a speed difference. If anything, its increased. And the bill is MUCH cheaper than w/ TWC as well.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. The only reason why I mentioned cable over DSL is that I have this notion in my head that DSL isn't as fast as cable, but maybe DSL technology has improved and things are not the same anymore, in which case, I'll gladly choose DSL if it offers speed and reliability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
The only real alternative is AT&T FastAccess DSL or, if you can get it, AT&T Uverse. Not sure why you prefer cable over DSL especially after having problems like this. There is no other cable provider in your area. Technically you can get internet from earthlink, but they are just selling you TWC internet in another name (you are still on TWC's cable network, and still relying on TWC support).

It sounds to me like TWC needs to install a new line from the pedestal to your home. Have they done this?
Looks like the fastest AT&T FastAccess DSL is only $19.95/mo, way lower than what I currently pay TWC - $57.95/mo, just for the Internet. U-verse is not available for my address. Forget Earthlink - I don't want to have anything even remotely to do with TWC, let alone use the same network again.

I am not sure what "pedestal" is, but they have a small green metal stub like thingy in my yard (it's written "joint trench" on that), and if that's what you are referring to, yes, they already changed the cable running from that trench to my house. When they did that, they left the cable lying on the grass for 7 days during which my connection was fine, but right after they buried it, things went south again. I mentioned this to the last tech who came in, but he checked the cable and said it looks fine. I just got off the phone with TWC to set up yet another service appointment and tomorrow morning they are gonna look at the cables below the road, running to the trench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaflora View Post
The DSL out in Wake Forest may be serviced by CenturyLink instead of AT&T - I think it depends on your neighborhood. We switched to AT&T DSL and haven't noticed a speed difference. If anything, its increased. And the bill is MUCH cheaper than w/ TWC as well.
OK, another vote for AT&T. Shortlisted.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 PM

143 posts, read 363,593 times
We just switched from TWC bundle (cable/internet/phone) to a Direct TV and Century Link bundle (AT&T Doesn't service WF, they told us Century Link). Cheaper, more channels, 3.0 speed internet. Time Warner upped our monthly without negotiating after a 2 year price lock ended, so we had to find something else. No way should we pay $$$ more for the same service when there is comparable, cheaper competition. Time will tell if we like DTV and century link. So far, the calls are clearer. Had DTV in NY, so nothing new there. I'd compare the bundle price and see if you can get some savings. Good luck!

P.S. A few of pointers if you switch:

If you get phone, make sure you have unlisted number. You'll get 20 calls a day from 800/877 numbers if you don't.

Make sure the model of the TV box fits the TV type - newer ones no problem, older may need adapters but you can get those for a $3-5 at Radioshack. Need to have that before they get there - they have to install all the TVs at that visit.

If you have HOA requirements that dish not be seen by street, be sure to assess where on your roof you could put it so that its 'south facing'. If you have a high roof, let the installer know when they make the appointment so that they can request the 40 ft. ladder. They can't "dismount" the ladder to install, so if its too high, they have to come back (usually the next week).

Last edited by Raleigh27612; 09-22-2010 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: noted that AT&T bundle not available, were told Century link was option for

Old 09-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Thanks, but like I said, I just need High-speed Internet. No phone or cable TV.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 PM

208 posts, read 633,560 times
I should add, DSL comes in different speeds - you pay depending on how fast you want it, I forget what it's called. I have around the highest and, like I said, can't tell a difference.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 PM

How is AT&T or CenturyLink's customer service BTW? TWC's is below par.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
How is AT&T or CenturyLink's customer service BTW? TWC's is below par.
None of them will win any awards for outstanding service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary