Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:20 PM

73 posts, read 397,282 times

Advertisements

what do you like/dislike?

is it caught between Cary and Raleigh?

what's its role with RTP?

do any of you live there/work there?

what's the town like itself - major issues?

thanks in advance

Bear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 12:49 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Morrisville is outside of Cary between Cary and RTP. It has no affiliation with RTP, just very close to RTP. It has been slowly growing as people have gotten tired of the commute from other areas. It's small and quiet. A lof of new construction, but still older places left as well that usually have larger than average lots because it used to be a rural area. The airport is in Morrisville, Lake Crabtree (very nice rec lake) and there are lots of places to eat there, but many cater to the RTP lunch crowd. Most of the people we know in Morrisville are very happy there because it is primarily a residential area but so close to Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, Apex etc. It's not a cultural mecca but because of it's location, people travel a few miles to other towns/cities for cultural stuff. They do have a movie theater, good schools, a couple shopping centers, an outlet mall. No major big box stores, but not too far away from either.
No major issues that I know of. It's a nice area.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:56 PM

455 posts, read 918,519 times
My wife and I have been renting in Morrisville for a few years now (2 for me, 3 or so for her). She works in the RTP area, and I work at Wake Tech, which is between Garner and Fuquay. We just bought a town home in Cary this weekend.

We've found that although we had no real complaints about Morrisville, it wasn't a place we wanted to stay long term. It's definitely a good middle point for things. We spent most of our time (shopping, restaurants, etc) at South Point in Durham, Brier Creek in Raleigh, Crossroads in Cary, and Beaver Creek in Apex. Other than some apartments and town homes, we just didn't see a whole lot in the way of homes. Most that we saw were right on top of each other. The movie theater was alright, but a bit older, so we would tend to go towards the places I mentioned above, which all have newer, larger theaters. The only shopping centers I can think of are both your typical Grocery store-centric shopping centers. The Harris Teeter shopping center on Davis and McCrimmon has a few tasty restaurants, Hollywood video, a vet, cleaners, nail place etc. The other (Food Lion at 54 and Cary Parkway) has a lot more in it, including the theaters mentioned previously. The outlet store is really nothing special, with many empty stores, and only two or three restaurants in the food court actually open.

I can't speak for the schools, as my wife and I are just recently married and in our late 20's with no kids, but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Otherwise, it just doesn't really feel like much of a "town" to me. Really no personality to it other than a middle ground to live while going to different areas in different towns nearby.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
My wife and I have been renting in Morrisville for a few years now (2 for me, 3 or so for her). She works in the RTP area, and I work at Wake Tech, which is between Garner and Fuquay. We just bought a town home in Cary this weekend.

We've found that although we had no real complaints about Morrisville, it wasn't a place we wanted to stay long term. It's definitely a good middle point for things. We spent most of our time (shopping, restaurants, etc) at South Point in Durham, Brier Creek in Raleigh, Crossroads in Cary, and Beaver Creek in Apex. Other than some apartments and town homes, we just didn't see a whole lot in the way of homes. Most that we saw were right on top of each other. The movie theater was alright, but a bit older, so we would tend to go towards the places I mentioned above, which all have newer, larger theaters. The only shopping centers I can think of are both your typical Grocery store-centric shopping centers. The Harris Teeter shopping center on Davis and McCrimmon has a few tasty restaurants, Hollywood video, a vet, cleaners, nail place etc. The other (Food Lion at 54 and Cary Parkway) has a lot more in it, including the theaters mentioned previously. The outlet store is really nothing special, with many empty stores, and only two or three restaurants in the food court actually open.

I can't speak for the schools, as my wife and I are just recently married and in our late 20's with no kids, but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Otherwise, it just doesn't really feel like much of a "town" to me. Really no personality to it other than a middle ground to live while going to different areas in different towns nearby.
thanks to both dgmayor and lamishra. so its kind of an in-between town, not even a city?

do the companies in RTP feel more allegiance to Cary/Raleigh/Durham?

does it have a town center at all?

Old 07-01-2007, 05:26 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
It's not a city. It doesn't really have a central downtown or anything. It has it's older parts, but no charmig little walkable district. It's really mostly residental and offices and lots of "quick" places to eat aimed at 9-5 'ers. It is just sort of an in between residential area. There are som eparts where the homes are close to each other, but other older parts where the homes have quite a good deal of land near the Cary side of Morrisville. I'm in East Cary and can be at the movie theater in less than 10 minutes. There is no major shopping there, everyone goes to Cary or Southpoint. The RTP companies I think feel no alleigiance to any other area. RTP itself is like a no -man's land of companies. Morrisville is just a very quiet, mostly residential area.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It's not a city. It doesn't really have a central downtown or anything. It has it's older parts, but no charmig little walkable district. It's really mostly residental and offices and lots of "quick" places to eat aimed at 9-5 'ers. It is just sort of an in between residential area. There are som eparts where the homes are close to each other, but other older parts where the homes have quite a good deal of land near the Cary side of Morrisville. I'm in East Cary and can be at the movie theater in less than 10 minutes. There is no major shopping there, everyone goes to Cary or Southpoint. The RTP companies I think feel no alleigiance to any other area. RTP itself is like a no -man's land of companies. Morrisville is just a very quiet, mostly residential area.
good to know it kind of sounds exactly as you put it. does anyone express any interest in it whatsoever for businesses?? ... besides those aimed at 9-5 er's?? sounds like an ideal place for businesses to locate. no?

Old 07-01-2007, 06:37 PM

212 posts, read 858,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear717 View Post
good to know it kind of sounds exactly as you put it. does anyone express any interest in it whatsoever for businesses?? ... besides those aimed at 9-5 er's?? sounds like an ideal place for businesses to locate. no?
It's developing residential neighborhoods fast. The businesses should follow. Restaurants in Morrisville right now do well during lunch hour rush from everyone working in RTP. Morrisville is surrounded on all sides by Cary so it's sometimes hard to differentiate between the two, esp. if you don't live there or drive there regularly. The thing is, Morrisville is SMALL so you do go elsewhere for your daily needs but it's close to Raleigh/Cary/Durham that you're not driving far.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:56 PM

23 posts, read 78,649 times
I live in Morrisville and it's definitely an interesting place. I would agree with others in saying that the town doesn't have much of an identity, but at the same time it is very diverse and has the potential to grow into an interesting place culturally. There are a number of Indian restaurants, Greek, Persian, Cuban, etc. Most everything is relatively new as well so everything is nice and pristine. There are plans to redevelop the town center (which is maybe 4 buildings now clustered along a railroad track) and make it more of a gathering place with things to do.

As far as business, Perimeter Park is located in Morrisville and is growing at an unbelievable pace. As space is running out in RTP it has become a hot spot and will probably continue to grow. There are some box stores that will be going up by the 54/540 interchange as well so that will provide some more convenient options.

As it stands now living in Morrisville means you are not close to anything, but near everything. I've actually grown to like that. Plane noise can be a problem for some, but growing up on Air Force bases, I don't even notice them. I can't even hear them in my house.

Anyhow, hope that helps. I'm not saying Morrisville is the best place to be in the Triangle, but I have been happy with my decision to live here.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:11 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,310 times
Default Morrisville

Morrisville is definitely not a "city," but it has become a decent bedroom/business community.

I actually lived in Morrisville while in jr. high and high school, and I've stayed in the Triangle area since. So, I've seen it change a lot in the past 28 years. I believe there were less than 1000 residents when my family moved to Morrisville. I agree with the other comments above.

The only thing I would add is that the property value in Morrisville continues to climb nicely as Morrisville is more and more surrounded by Cary. My understanding is that a merger will happen in the not-too-distant future. At that time, property values in Morrisville will take another jump.

It's horribly close to the airport, and it is immediately under the flight path. You get used to it after awhile, but it's still a bit much, IMO.

However, it is very convenient to most places in the Triangle.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 07-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu-nc View Post
I live in Morrisville and it's definitely an interesting place. I would agree with others in saying that the town doesn't have much of an identity, but at the same time it is very diverse and has the potential to grow into an interesting place culturally. There are a number of Indian restaurants, Greek, Persian, Cuban, etc. Most everything is relatively new as well so everything is nice and pristine. There are plans to redevelop the town center (which is maybe 4 buildings now clustered along a railroad track) and make it more of a gathering place with things to do.

As far as business, Perimeter Park is located in Morrisville and is growing at an unbelievable pace. As space is running out in RTP it has become a hot spot and will probably continue to grow. There are some box stores that will be going up by the 54/540 interchange as well so that will provide some more convenient options.

As it stands now living in Morrisville means you are not close to anything, but near everything. I've actually grown to like that. Plane noise can be a problem for some, but growing up on Air Force bases, I don't even notice them. I can't even hear them in my house.

Anyhow, hope that helps. I'm not saying Morrisville is the best place to be in the Triangle, but I have been happy with my decision to live here.
thanks, thats a lot of good info. you seem to know a lot about the town. so business real estate seems like its going up... but residential is slower because of the airport noise? any other issues facing the town at present time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary