Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,968,005 times

Advertisements

We got downtown around 9:15 and parked by Morgan imports. Walking back to our car, up the steps next to Tylers, they were not even letting cars out of the parking deck. Wall to wall traffic all the way up Duke St to our car, but once we walked across the railroad tracks and turned onto the side street, not a car to be found (except a few bailing off of Duke St). No traffic the rest of the way home.

Last night 20 min of walking was definitely the quickest way home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 PM

28 posts, read 47,014 times
We're headed out tonite for our first game - new to town. Can anyone be a bit more specific about parking on the street (like which street)? Also, is the surrounding area safe for walking to and from the game?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,968,005 times
I typically park on Willard St (in front of University Ford). I have no issue with safety in the area of the ballpark (thought nothing of walking with my kid from the ballpark to brightleaf at 10 pm).

Old 08-10-2010, 01:06 PM

754 posts, read 1,694,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
We're headed out tonite for our first game - new to town. Can anyone be a bit more specific about parking on the street (like which street)?
I despise garages so we've been parking on Morehead Ave and walking to the ballpark for about 9 years or so. Another good spot is the lot on Carr St. behind American Tobacco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
Also, is the surrounding area safe for walking to and from the game?
Of course.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:28 PM

9,150 posts, read 14,793,190 times
Here is a quick paint of the parking situations I remember in the area. Yellow are paid areas and the red are free, on street that I have seen people parking at over the last few years.

If you are going to eat Tylers will take off the cost of your parking in the deck from your bill. So will Tobacco Road. Not sure about Mellow Mushroom as I never ate there before a game. Also, the one surface lot that is paid, around the Hotel is not part of the American TObacco comples, so I am not sure if they will validate for parking there.

You definitely need to get there early if you want to eat. 1:30 before game time at the latest or you will risk not getting a seat. For 7:00 games we try to get there at about 5:00-5:15 and have had no issue getting a seat inside or outside at Tylers or at Tobacco Road. aLso, to get ourt quickly, I have found the deck between the DPAC and Diamond View 2, where Tobacco Road is, is th ebest as you are right on a road to get to the freeway, but as long as you are on the bottom levels, no where is too bad.

We usually get there early enough to park on the lower levels of the decks, mostly because my wife likjes to take the Jeep and keep the top down and you never know when a storm will hit in the summer, but safety is not an issue from what I have seen, even on the street. There are tons of security and police around and the "danger" of going to Durham is way overblown anyway. Sure, there are some bad areas, but not unlike any other city of that size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
I despise garages so we've been parking on Morehead Ave and walking to the ballpark for about 9 years or so. Another good spot is the lot on Carr St. behind American Tobacco.
FYI, the last couple of times I was there, they had people taking money and signs up on each end of the Carr St parking lots. Not sure if that is all the time or just weekends.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:45 PM

754 posts, read 1,694,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
FYI, the last couple of times I was there, they had people taking money and signs up on each end of the Carr St parking lots. Not sure if that is all the time or just weekends.
Interesting. We parked there several times when we were eating before a game but it was never on the weekend and it was earlier in the season. Maybe they got wise.

Also, in your drawing, the red lines on Morehead can go farther west all the way to Duke St. We usually park in front of the building labeled Advisor's Project. The area is usually packed on both sides of the road by game time.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:26 PM

9,150 posts, read 14,793,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Interesting. We parked there several times when we were eating before a game but it was never on the weekend and it was earlier in the season. Maybe they got wise.

Also, in your drawing, the red lines on Morehead can go farther west all the way to Duke St. We usually park in front of the building labeled Advisor's Project. The area is usually packed on both sides of the road by game time.
OK, I changed it.

As far as Carr St. I guess during the week, it would be pretty hard to charge anyway as the parking is taken up by people working there until well after 5:00 anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary