Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,694,567 times

Advertisements

Weird specific question:

I'm dropping my foreign exchange student off at the Bulls game tomorrow evening, she needs to connect with another family. Can anyone suggest a good specific location where I can pull up and wait with her without being caught in traffic, and the other family (who is going to park and stay for the game) without being caught in traffic. Alternately, I could park somewhere and walk to a connecting point with her, but ideally I need to get back to work ASAP. And I can't just leave her alone, she is only 15 and her english is pretty bad.

I'm just not familiar enough with the area to have any quick easy ideas. They are coming from Wake Forest and I am coming from, let's say, Southpoint Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 05:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,868,604 times
The American Tobacco Complex is right across the street and has more "let's meet at ____" landmarks.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:31 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,694,567 times
Okay but that still sounds like a parking nightmare. I could, for example, Park in the South deck, and wait for them in front of the mellow Mushroom at 5:45. But I'm still worried Ill have to wait to get in the deck, find a space, walk to the MM, wait, turn around and do it in reverse and it will take me an hour and a half. We could also try the grass lot, but that might take up more time in walking.

Or am I assuming that more people come to these games than really do and it won't be as congested as I think?

Directions | Durham Bulls Gameday

Old 07-15-2012, 05:57 PM

725 posts, read 1,503,466 times
In my experience if it's a 7 o'clock game and you get there at 5:45 you should have no trouble getting a spot at the deck. With people leaving work around that same time you may get lucky and snag a spot right by the parking garage entrance (right up the steps from Tyler's).

Old 07-15-2012, 06:04 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,970,696 times
I'd suggest taking the Durham Freeway to Chapel Hill St, getting off there and driving towards downtown. Turn right onto Willard st. and drive towards the Tobacco Campus/Ballpark. There is free parking on both sides of willard st and after you pass the BB&T you should see people parking along the road for the game, and park there. Walk down willard till you hit come to the ballpark, and you'll be at the main entrance (and ticket office). Mellow Mushroom is across the street if you prefer that. Your friends can find you there, then walk back up to your car, do a U-turn and head back to Chapel Hill St and you'll be out of there with no trouble.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:04 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,836,563 times
Maybe the people she's watching the game with could drop her off at another location like Duke, Brier Creek or Southpoint, and that's where you get her?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:57 AM

520 posts, read 1,018,246 times
The parking garage can be busy, but that time of day shouldn't be too bad.
Watch though, I'm not sure when they start charging to park ($4/car). If you have a YMCA membership you could show your card & say you are going there. A bit of a cheat but if you just intend to drop off & leave in a short period of time probably not a horrible thing to do. Not like you are taking the Y's free spot for hours & hours.

Another option, could they meet you up by DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center) assuming there isn't an event there that night? You can pull through there (Vivian St. I think) and it is just a quick block (if that) from the ballpark. It might be easier to find the folks you are meeting there as opposed to in the crowd of folks leaving work/heading to the game. Also, that way you wouldn't have to mess with the parking garage & can go down Blackwell to Rt 147 & back to work quickly.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:37 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,273,089 times
I'd suggest you meet at the Durham County Library - based on how you're describing it:

1. Easy to find.
2. Can both meet there, without having to pay to park.
3. You can get right back on the highway to work.

Assuming they're using Highway 98 from Wake Forest, they'll come into Durham on 98/Holloway, which is one corner of the library. You take Roxboro Rd north off 147, and it's 2 minutes into town. Then, you can both hop on Durham's downtown loop - them the DBAP, and you back to 147

Old 07-16-2012, 02:09 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,922,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'd suggest you meet at the Durham County Library - based on how you're describing it:

1. Easy to find.
2. Can both meet there, without having to pay to park.
3. You can get right back on the highway to work.

Assuming they're using Highway 98 from Wake Forest, they'll come into Durham on 98/Holloway, which is one corner of the library. You take Roxboro Rd north off 147, and it's 2 minutes into town. Then, you can both hop on Durham's downtown loop - them the DBAP, and you back to 147
Good suggestion. The other suggestion I would make: The City parking lot along the downtown loop between Great Jones St. and Corcoran St. It's behind Beyu Caffe, next to the Corcoran St. lot. No charges for parking after hours, quick in/out. Come via 147 to Chapel Hill St. or come via Main St. to miss game day traffic (there will still be some.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary