Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:30 AM

133 posts, read 425,023 times

Advertisements

hi i am looking for a good chinese restaurant in north raleigh - close to Falls of Neuse or to Wake Forest. I am not looking for the greasy take out places, but good food. We go to some nice places in Cary, but don't want to travel that far tonight.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
Jumbo China (behind McDonald's, beside Tuesday morning) is primarily a takeout place, but it's not greasy. Still not a real restaurant, though. I'd love any good Asian (especially Thai) in the area!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 AM

58 posts, read 150,257 times
Honestly, I have not found a real Chinese food place since I moved here. But...if you like sushi, there is a new place in Falls Village that is pretty good and decently priced. They have great lunch specials and they always accommodate me because I don't like mayo in the Sushi. (never heard of that-yuck) But as far as Chinese...good luck and let me know if you find a place that is comparable to NY Chinese.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 AM

355 posts, read 958,206 times
I've been on a quest for good Chinese lately and in Raleigh, we come up short. I've queried the local foodies and Chowhounds. The general consensus is that Fortune Palace, just off of Capital is the best you're going to get within Raleigh. It's best to order off of their "Asian" menu versus the gloopy Anglo-American stuff in the front of the menu. I've been pretty pleased with their dishes including a number of Malaysian dishes. The Malaysian Curry Street Noodles (or some combination of those words) is especially tasty.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM

360 posts, read 995,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poole276 View Post
Honestly, I have not found a real Chinese food place since I moved here. But...if you like sushi, there is a new place in Falls Village that is pretty good and decently priced. They have great lunch specials and they always accommodate me because I don't like mayo in the Sushi. (never heard of that-yuck) But as far as Chinese...good luck and let me know if you find a place that is comparable to NY Chinese.

Why is NY Chinese food so great?! I was in NY and went to a chinese place that had duck tongue soup on the menu, gross if you ask me! That's the last time I tried "authentic" Chinese, I'll take my General Tso's chicken thank you very much!

If you like buffets, the Crystal Palace on Capital Blvd is great, and super clean as far as buffets go

Old 06-29-2010, 02:24 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,659 times
neo china on glenwood in raleigh (near pleasant valley) is decent chinese food. it may be further than you wish to travel tonight but you could keep it in mind for the future.

Locations

Old 04-01-2011, 09:16 PM

77 posts, read 205,975 times
This is an old thread, but I found a fantastic little Asian restaurant today.
It has two menus... one is what I call "american oriental" dishes, like beef and broccoli,
General Whoever's chicken, etc etc.

AND, it has the "authentic" food menu.....
Place is called the Fortune Palace Chinese Restaurant, 2815 Brentwood Road, just off Capitol Blvd.
Nothing fancy to look at from the parking lot, but wow, what a choice!

I had a Thai curry with seafood, and my wife had a seafood and noodle dish.

Our appetizer was "baby fish and peanuts"... just that... dried little fishies, peanuts, green onion,
bit of flavorings, barely warmed in a wok... eat it like popcorn and twice as good!

Try this place if you want something different! Addres

Old 04-02-2011, 01:10 PM

33 posts, read 115,139 times
As a Chinese American (from HK) who has lived in San Fran, Boston and NYC, I think we need one or two decent Hong Kong style eateries in this area. This area BADLY needs good Chinese restaurants. Not buffet style restaurants, but those in which you can order HK style hot milk tea, congee (aka porridge), noodle soups, baked pork chop over fried rice, roast duck & soy sauce chicken and bbq pork, black pepper steaks served on a hot grille, pastries...etc. all in one place. Go to Mott Street in Manhattan, Boston Chinatown and Milpitas Square in the Bay Area and you'll know what I mean. Actually I tried one in ATL (near Buford Hwy) and it's decent also. As far as dim sum goes, the only place I have been to is in North Durham. Somewhat authentic (chicken feet, steamed rice rolls...etc.) but obscenely expensive considering cost of living in this area.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:14 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Why is NY Chinese food so great?! I was in NY and went to a chinese place that had duck tongue soup on the menu, gross if you ask me! That's the last time I tried "authentic" Chinese, I'll take my General Tso's chicken thank you very much!

If you like buffets, the Crystal Palace on Capital Blvd is great, and super clean as far as buffets go
Yes. we've been going to Crystal Palace for 14 years.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:15 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
neo china on glenwood in raleigh (near pleasant valley) is decent chinese food. it may be further than you wish to travel tonight but you could keep it in mind for the future.

Locations
I like Neo China for take out better than for dine-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary