Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 03:47 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,728 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why Steve LaVelle (not sure of the spelling) retired? Same question as to who is replacing him. I thought he was so happywith his show I was surprised to hear that he was retiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 05:00 PM

2,950 posts, read 5,202,669 times
Hecwent on vacation with his wife, but mysteriously was absent even longer with fill in hosts, making things frustrating for many listeners.

I think he made reference to one of his occasional guests, Carl Bean, the Red Sox PA announcer, who was killed in a car crash over Steve's vacation. I think that got him thinking. They were similar in age.

Mentioned he and his wife feel they can financially retire now, so why not?

I was shocked when he came on air that night and mentioned it. I thought he was truly joking.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:01 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,573,632 times
I suggest that you post that same question on the radio industry's own website at Radio-Info.com: Radio's Online Community.

Rest assured that some broadcasting veterans from Boston and elsewhere will gladly answer it.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:50 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,728 times
Thanks for the replies will check out the new link.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 AM

26,658 posts, read 28,727,992 times
I was shocked. It was as shocking as the day (night) he was suddenly laid off a few years ago.

My theory is that he was affected by friends and acquaintances who have died recently. His friend (mentioned above)--that was a true friend and on Steve's blog he gives a long eulogy about his friend who never got the chance to retire.

Then, recently, Dave Maynard, a long time WBZ broadcaster, died and that must have been quite a shock. Then also, the man who was laid off at the same time Steve was (can't think of his name, the black man with the beautiful deep voice) --well, he just died too.

That kind of thing would get to you. Steve was also having medical problems with his arm and was in pain and that's medical-hospital related so I think if you add it all up, that's what you get--get out while the getting's good. Retire while you are still young enough to enjoy it.

I wonder who's going to replace (well, no one can really replace him) be hired in his place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio