Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 02:06 PM

493 posts, read 636,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
kwiktsi there are many more places than Fishermans to eat. You have Gators, Burnt store, Cabbage Key, etc. Do a search and you will find multiple waterfront stops to enjoy!
If you pull in to Laishley's you can tie up to the public floating dock (in protected waters) and walk to the Tiki bar, Hurricane Charleys, or walk two blocks in to town and stop at any one of a number of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 02:53 PM

159 posts, read 693,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
kwiktsi there are many more places than Fishermans to eat. You have Gators, Burnt store, Cabbage Key, etc. Do a search and you will find multiple waterfront stops to enjoy!
Cool, thank you, I'll have to look into them. I have only been to Harpoon Harry's and Navigator up the peace river but that was on the skis. A bit hesitant to take the boat up there after seeing how shallow it was riding the skis. Just surprised that there isn't more on the Port Charlotte side. Kind of expected a lot more with all the waterfront in the area.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray Mark View Post
If you pull in to Laishley's you can tie up to the public floating dock (in protected waters) and walk to the Tiki bar, Hurricane Charleys, or walk two blocks in to town and stop at any one of a number of places.
Where is the floating dock? I had never seen that but have pulled the skis up to that little beach area in the past to go to the tiki bar. I would love to dock there and go eat and walk around a bit. Thanks!

Old 05-28-2015, 03:01 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,826 times
Numerous places to go to eat on Boca Grand.. Manasota Key.. Gasperilla and down in Matlacha etc etc but they are a "lunch " thing for most of us , unless you dont mind coming back in the dark.. Power Boat versus Sail Boat.. To some extent a Power Boat is about Being Over There.. a Sailboat is all about the Getting to over there. Buy One Of Each : )
Lots of shallow areas you can pull over CAREFULLY drop an anchor and turn on some tunes , search for shells , have lunch etc etc . As others have said just cruise up and down the canals and drag a fishing line.. Go see a friend and go by boat.. we did that Memorial Day.. We are looking for ideas for our back yard... well you wont see any ideas drive down street but you see a lot of back yards cruising the canals.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:55 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
The person that was telling me about it was saying that the county is really pushing for it with the park and kyak/canoe launch (I didn't know there was one?) behind the stadium somewhere?... .
Probably the little park at Flamingo Blvd and Joppa Ave??

Old 05-28-2015, 04:47 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,025,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray Mark View Post

The Tiki bar has it's own dock now. Not many slips but it usually isn't full of boats. That tiki bar is my GF's favorite place to go. Hurricane Charleys needs to fix their dock and make it easier to tie up. Laishley's is usually packed full of boats when we go...and I feel a little awkward leaving the boat in the boat ramp line for hours...and I can't keep an eye on it.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
I am 41, wife is a little younger at 33. We have a 6 1/2 your old and a 2 1/2 year old both boys ( I won- YES! lol). It is hard finding anyone in our age group or with kids for our boys to play with that we would normally "associate" with (trying to be PC here as well ).
We are 40, but you probably wouldn't want to associate with us! And I wouldn't blame ya!

Old 05-28-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Several years ago,I thought as you do. That is until I actually talked to some people who own in that area.. As it turned out , it wasnt for lack of research with concern to travel times at all.
It was The Neighborhood..( I could be descriptive here in very few words ,but I will Choose to be PC here : ) Each of them that I had talked to, have in fact progressed as they predicted they would and someday, so shall I..... They use their boats less and less, most of them never used them, more than a few times a month even in the very beginning. ( The Old Fellow who owned my house never even had a boat and I am on sailboat water 15-20 minutes from the harbor...The FACT IS, in PC and PGI, actually anywhere you look down here.. water front homes with boats sittiig behind them ARE IN THE MINORTY!) I now understand that concept. Today with all of them being no less than in their Very Late 60's early to mid even late 70's and early 80's the boating Salt Water Life has taken, is taking , a less important place in their lives, just as they knew it would, from the beginnning.
They desired instead ( wait for it , here it comes) the nicer over all ambiance of the area At least by outward appearances that area is, a nicer newer more upscale sailboat water area than where I live. That said we have seen a number of those Newer type homes with the 10 and 12 foot trouffered ceilings and 9 and 10 foot sliding glass doors etc etc etc etc etc being built around me.. but the older style "80's and 90's" Homes still make up a 90+% Majority of the homes in my area .. Add to that , up there, there are Far Fewer, Off Water Homes..aka The Cheap Seats and far fewer wood frame homes.. and that all contributes to the ambiance of the neighborhood..
I get what you are saying. When driving down that part of Ohara or a small part of Collingswood it looks like "million dollar row"...as long as you are facing the water side. Reality is, across the street or a block away is no different than the rest of 33848 south of Edgewater....which is all nice IMHO. There may be 20 or so of those huge nice houses total?

I've met many people that live in those big nice houses, even sold them a few boats, and everyone that I talked to said they had no idea before buying that it would take so long to get to the harbor. So I will stand by my statement that many were misinformed and did not do enough research. Sure, many of them are also just older and don't care about boating, but most of those people buy in gated communities, not across the street from a little 2 bd, 2ba like mine.

People come down here and ask "what can I buy in the million dollar range"? Those people will buy those big houses, even if they like to boat, and a $500k house closer to the harbor would be all they needed or wanted. Most of them figure "more money, must be a better location". And they never even check a map.

And I gotta say, at least 80% of the homes on my canal have a boat out back...I think. I'll have to count next time out during snowbird season. Half of them never move though, so you are 100% correct there!

Last edited by HarborRat; 05-28-2015 at 05:38 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
We are 40, but you probably wouldn't want to associate with us! And I wouldn't blame ya!
Lmao, I'm sure we'd be fine. Anybody that says "you probably don't want to associate with us and I don't blame you" is ok in my book .

Last edited by kwiktsi; 05-28-2015 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I get what you are saying. When driving down that part of Ohara or a small part of Collingswood it looks like "million dollar row"...as long as you are facing the water side.
I am right on the corner of Collingswood and Ohara. The first house in "Collingswood Point". Probably the smallest, cheapest house in an otherwise million dollar neighborhood. The next house down on Ohara last sold for like 1.4 I think it was. We're the paupers in this 'hood lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte