Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 01:38 PM

81 posts, read 97,681 times

Advertisements

tks so much fishin franks is the only place that I know of with 2 tier traps, let you know the outcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 03:16 PM

202 posts, read 227,690 times
As the other have said ,the two tier traps with 4 funnels are the ones the commercial crabbers use. I am currently using chicken( because its easy to get) for bait. I think chicken is terrible bait but I have not been fishing so I have no fish bodies. I would like to have Mossbunker or some other oily fish. I have noticed that I have to let my traps sit out much longer here than in NJ. I get far fewer crabs but they are generally bigger.

Pinfish absolutely love to eat up your crab bait. If this is happening to you try setting a Pinfish trap where you have been crabbing.
Click on this link to see picture.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...w3OJKpQanZ1DLT

I'm still trying to learn to post photos better. Messing with Google Photo now It automatically saves all the photos from my phone. I can open Google photo on my laptop and see all the photos but the laptop cant find them.

Last edited by storm lady; 01-29-2017 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-29-2017, 03:25 PM

700 posts, read 1,819,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm lady View Post
I am currently using chicken( because its easy to get) for bait. I think chicken is terrible bait but I have not been fishing so I have no fish bodies. I would like to have Mossbunker or some other oily fish. I have noticed that I have to let my traps sit out much longer here than in NJ. I get far fewer crabs but they are generally bigger.
Bonito from Fishin Franks is all I use. Set today. 2 hours later had 2 little guys in there. They'll probably get thrown back. We used Bunker in the Chesapeake Bay but I haven't heard of any down here.
I've tried Mullet but I don't think as good as Bonito.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:30 PM

202 posts, read 227,690 times
Thanks for the Bonita tip. Jacks work great but you have to actually stop working on the house, get in the boat and catch some.
Click Link

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...Uh4Rv1EEprbuuk

Old 01-29-2017, 03:35 PM

when I set my traps out I used bonito from walmart, I think those are the ones with the long bills, they ate the s**t out of them, I use the single layer traps, going to fishing franks and get the 2 tier traps, hope this will be a lot better, I got advice from here, to get the two tier traps, also tks for the advice about the pin fish traps, going to get those too, I can always use live bait, im only in punta gorda a few weeks year until I retire, tks

Old 01-29-2017, 06:28 PM

sorry bally hoooooooooooooooooooo

Old 01-30-2017, 05:18 AM

413 posts, read 828,749 times
Will definitely have to try the crabbing out, finally retired last week will be headed to Gulf Cove this week.
Took a detour left Illinois to Iowa (business) then a week in Colorado (Grandson) a stop over in Texas then will be headed to Florida. Hope to make some face to face with some of you C-Der's.

Dave

Old 01-30-2017, 08:52 AM

306 posts, read 391,352 times
Default Us too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
Will definitely have to try the crabbing out, finally retired last week will be headed to Gulf Cove this week.
Took a detour left Illinois to Iowa (business) then a week in Colorado (Grandson) a stop over in Texas then will be headed to Florida. Hope to make some face to face with some of you C-Der's.

Dave
Will be doing the same, just not soon enough.

Leaving Illinois and never looking back! Gulf cove here we come.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:25 PM

sgtrich, grew up in oak forest

Old 02-01-2017, 11:31 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm lady View Post
I'm still trying to learn to post photos better. Messing with Google Photo now It automatically saves all the photos from my phone. I can open Google photo on my laptop and see all the photos but the laptop cant find them.
Email them to yourself from your phone. Then you can save them to your computer, or at least be able to look at them on your email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte