Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
MA, sorry you didn't get any fish, better luck next time, what about BH did he catch any. BH what was the report? Hey, Messing About was 30 knots all that you wanted to do or just taking it easy on the new boat? You should run it up trimmed out to see what the top end is on performance, that way you can judge your prop performance at some point. Just a suggestion.
No fish either. That will happen soon. I had a nice fish on, but it cut me off on some of the structure I was fishing on. I never saw it, but think it was either a grouper or a large sheep head - just guessing though.

We (Messing About) talked a few times, but never saw each other. He went down to the pass, but I met up with Harbor Hopper out on the Fish Haven (the structure I just mentioned). He didn't have any luck either. After I bottom fished for a while, I put on some of my shad trolling baits and ran up and down the haven/reef for a few passes. I saw some fish, but nothing chased the bait.

This week the weather is going to be awesome! 80s every day. So the fish will be returning once the water warms up. Hopefully that will be soon. I am going out again sometime this next week, so I will report back in if I hit the jack pot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 12:53 PM

493 posts, read 1,386,469 times
BH, looking forward to the report. 80's sounds nice since we just came off of a run of high 30's and mid 40's and now we are back to winter with daytime highs predicted to be in the high 20's for the next couple of days. Snow also in the forecast and possible up to 12". Thank god we are getting closer to spring! I'm glad this is my last winter here!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
BH, looking forward to the report. 80's sounds nice since we just came off of a run of high 30's and mid 40's and now we are back to winter with daytime highs predicted to be in the high 20's for the next couple of days. Snow also in the forecast and possible up to 12". Thank god we are getting closer to spring! I'm glad this is my last winter here!
Oh, Now you did it! The tears are starting to well up in my eyes! Haaaa haaaa haa! - Sorry - can't help it! I laugh when I cry!

It is supposed to be in the 80s, but trust me - the water temperature isn't quite there yet. A few months ago I bought a couple of 450 watt halogen underwater dock lights, and today I jumped in the canal and installed them! They are on a dawn to dusk timer, and I tested them - they work. But, let me tell you something - the bottom of the canal - it's nasty! This morning, when I was sitting on my dock, in my orange Adirondack chairs having my coffee and looking at the water - which was crystal clear, I couldn't take it any more. I had to install them! Now, even though it is an absolutely beautiful picture perfect day, I can't wait for the sun to set so I can see them come on! For the last two years, I've watched these huge 3'-4' snook swimming in the light of my neighbor across the canal! Well, they are mine now baby! The can swim to my much brighter lights, and from one to the other. The Girl Snooks can show how HOT they are, and the boy Snook can swim loopdy loops, or what ever they want to do when they show off to the girls! Oh yeah!! They flirt! I've been watching 'em do it for two years! They are slim, fit, tight, and BEAUTIFUL! Plus, they don't mind how many beers I drink when I hang with 'em. And, like my wife, they don't understand a thing I'm saying after I get going. But, that's ok, nobody does!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:45 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
We made another run today...up the Peace River to the Nav-a-gator Grill for drinks and back. About 40 miles round trip. Very nice day but more of a moderate chop. New boat handles it soooo well. Love it.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 PM

A few pics from a fruitless, yet fabulous, weekend on the waters of and surrounding Charlotte Harbor.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-041-large-.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-055-large-.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-068-large-.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-073-large-.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-082-large-.jpg  

Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,753 times
Since most of you have your own boats, im curious what you fish for. I had a boat for a long time and we always just tried new areas and baits and were happy with what ever we caught. I know there are guys that go out for specific fish. Do you guys just throw bait or do you actually look for specific areas that hold a specific species? Do any of you tarpon fish? That is something I have never done and it looks like a blast. Just curious what everyone is after out there.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Hey, Messing About was 30 knots all that you wanted to do or just taking it easy on the new boat? You should run it up trimmed out to see what the top end is on performance, that way you can judge your prop performance at some point. Just a suggestion.
Give me your opinion:
We had people, weighing a total of about 700lbs, on board.
I still have the aluminum prop on.
WOT rpm was 5200
WOT speed in a moderate chop was 32 knots.
I was a little disappointed in that. Not that I'm a speed demon but my old 5500 pound boat with 320hp I/O could do 40 knots.

What do you think?

Old 02-20-2011, 05:37 PM

463 posts, read 866,728 times
[quote=Messing About;17956891]Give me your opinion:
We had people, weighing a total of about 700lbs, on board.
I still have the aluminum prop on.
WOT rpm was 5200
WOT speed in a moderate chop was 32 knots.
I was a little disappointed in that. Not that I'm a speed demon but my old 5500 pound boat with 320hp I/O could do 40 knots.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_vE1-GlDVM

Were you going by speedo or GPS ?
My boat will run 42 WOT with the boat full of gas gear and two people.
Hull weighs 1800 with a 115 Johnson.
You should be in the mid 40s
Here is a video from the people I bought it from

Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Since most of you have your own boats, im curious what you fish for. I had a boat for a long time and we always just tried new areas and baits and were happy with what ever we caught. I know there are guys that go out for specific fish. Do you guys just throw bait or do you actually look for specific areas that hold a specific species? Do any of you tarpon fish? That is something I have never done and it looks like a blast. Just curious what everyone is after out there.

I do, during the winter you go to shallower areas and fish for sea trout, some red fish, snapper, ladyfish, and sheep head. When the water warms up, I head closer to Boca Grande Pass after catching bait, and fish for tarpon, shark and grouper. If I don't go down to the pass when it is warm, I will go to a couple holes in the harbor as well as fish around structure for grouper, mackrel, snapper, and maybe hit something else like a shark, amber jack, and then I will go back to the banks / shallows for trout, red fish and snook. The fish are all different and they like different things (all like shrimp though). It is best if you have tackle, hooks, leaders and other gear that matches what your after.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I do, during the winter you go to shallower areas and fish for sea trout, some red fish, snapper, ladyfish, and sheep head. When the water warms up, I head closer to Boca Grande Pass after catching bait, and fish for tarpon, shark and grouper. If I don't go down to the pass when it is warm, I will go to a couple holes in the harbor as well as fish around structure for grouper, mackrel, snapper, and maybe hit something else like a shark, amber jack, and then I will go back to the banks / shallows for trout, red fish and snook. The fish are all different and they like different things (all like shrimp though). It is best if you have tackle, hooks, leaders and other gear that matches what your after.
I primarily did alot of flats fishing for snook, redfish and trout. My boat was too small for open water so I only took it out there when it was really calm with no wind, we shark fished the flats and a little deeper water when we got a chance. Now I just fish from the jetty from time to time. Dont really care what I catch if I catch anything at all, I just love being out there fishing. If you run into a few tarpon I would love to see pics if you get any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte