Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 07:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 4,279,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

I could be wrong in my perspective, yet I tend to think a person who has endured, and perservered thru economic strife, inter relations challenges...gets to a point of...Hey! I made it thru THAT, so other things are gravy. The don't sweat the small stuff. And most things can be managed.

Yes in my case. A childhood full of turmoil, abuse, poverty, and early losses, deaths led to learning how to survive, cope, adapt . I don’t feel change is as easy as flipping a light switch but I do go into the british “stiff upper lip “ mode and focus on getting through the now, and making do the best I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 08:02 AM

11,203 posts, read 6,832,511 times
I like change. It kicks life up a notch. I've lived all over the US by choice and now live overseas so lots of change. Different careers.

Though I wasn't close to my parents, we had a secure, caring home. They were sort of rigid and locked into routines, very old-school, so I think I was rebelling against that too. My mom was a lovely, sweet person but I never wanted to live her circumscribed, narrow life.

I'm not an extrovert nor an introvert. I can enjoy SOME people. The quarantine was not a hardship for either of us. We sit around and read for hours anyway. Of course it helps that we got stuck in a fantastic, gorgeous place!

Old 07-03-2020, 09:08 AM

1,098 posts, read 598,146 times
Some very good insight here, and I definitely agree that it varies based on personality type and personal preferences, plus much of it is indeed situational.

In typing out my OP, I was thinking specifically of the type of people who can radically change their mindset about a particular situation and never look back. That's something I've never been able to do. It's probably because some people form emotional attachments, while others seem incapable of doing so. The people who can't are the ones who can walk away at the drop of a hat, while people like me would struggle with the loss.

Continuing with the quarantine example, people who thrive on activity and personal interaction were heavily emotionally affected by the lockdown, while people who don't feel the need for such things barely noticed that anything changed.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,913,202 times
Life is all about adapting to change. If you don't you're just too stuck up and waiting to be obsolete.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:49 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,223,148 times
A morbid answer to this- the better a person is at focusing on their immediate needs and wants, the better he or she is at surviving.

Psychologists have studied people who have endured horrific, hard to imagine hardships and figured out that the innate capacity to "keep going" and keep adjusted to their "here and now" separated survivors from non-survivors.

Another morbid truth- life itself can be very random. Many people who can't deal with this succumb to depression and withdraw from life.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:31 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,362,586 times
How do ANY of us 'respond under pressure' ? ? ?

"As will all living-things...each ACCORDING TO HIS/HER GIFTS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqrZRIBLfe4

Old 07-03-2020, 12:54 PM

13,022 posts, read 9,313,650 times
I think the "people don't like change" mantra is both too simplistic and incorrect. People change all the time. They grow, they go to school, get jobs, change jobs, get married, have children, move. If we look deep and ask deeper, what people really don't like is loss and risk of loss. We love positive change -- a big raise. And we hate negative change -- a pile of extra work.

To me it really comes down to risk vs ROI. Each person does this little calculation of "what will lose/what is the cost vs what will I gain?" If the loss exceeds the gain, then they dislike change. If the gain exceeds the expected loss, they like change.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:18 PM

22 posts, read 7,990 times
Change was something I looked forward when I was young. Now that I am older I feel change is happening faster and I feel loss not savoring the moments of the past. Having a secure family helped me feel confidence in pursuing life but with loss of loved ones one often feels alone and is less likely to welcome change.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:26 PM

6,351 posts, read 4,279,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Some very good insight here, and I definitely agree that it varies based on personality type and personal preferences, plus much of it is indeed situational.

In typing out my OP, I was thinking specifically of the type of people who can radically change their mindset about a particular situation and never look back. That's something I've never been able to do. It's probably because some people form emotional attachments, while others seem incapable of doing so. The people who can't are the ones who can walk away at the drop of a hat, while people like me would struggle with the loss.

Continuing with the quarantine example, people who thrive on activity and personal interaction were heavily emotionally affected by the lockdown, while people who don't feel the need for such things barely noticed that anything changed.
It seems a bit simplistic to claim the ability to adapt to change or embrace change is due to a lack of emotional attachment. I was very emotionally attached to my family but chose to marry and start a new married adventure as an immigrant, likewise each state we lived I had a circle of dear friends ( and many are still my friends, and I’m still close to my family). I think it’s much more complex and deeper than just one thing, depends on personality, upbringing, family dynamics and support system etc.

As for quarantine, again, I don’t know that we can presume quarantine is easier for people who don’t depend on personal interaction.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:34 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,941,769 times
Agree with the posters who say that adaptability to change has a lot to do with one's basic temperament or personality.

My brother has always hated change and is experiencing a lot of anxiety over the changes from the COVID-19 epidemic even though he never was a person who went out a lot.

My sister is intermediate and is adapting somewhat to the changes. She makes a lot of Zoom calls to friends to keep in touch, has picked up a 2nd job since her primary job of waitressing is not doing so well, and while restless to go out she limits her trips to essential errands. She finds herself bored/frustrated sometimes but not the extent my brother is.

I have not had really any issues with the changes. I have taken up a couple of new hobbies since having to stay at home more frequently and am catching up on reading. I don't go to indoor venues much but have been going to outdoors attractions and getting more exercise. I hardly notice the inconveniences. I have always enjoyed change and dislike routine or getting into a rut.

At work I see varying levels of how people are adapting to the changes. The majority fall somewhere in the middle between not being bothered much at all and being completely distraught over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology