Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:29 AM

6 posts, read 11,558 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. Glad to know you here.
I will have to spend one month in NYC in the end of 2013. To be honest,i have never been to the United States before. So i am kind of worried about what the life would be like in NYC, the center of the world,maybe.
I would like to find someone who can help me to live like a New Yorker,i mean, to know how to do everything like a native people. Like go to a hospital.banks,visiting interesting places.etc.
Any of you ,if you have any suggestions or recommendations,let me know. You can send mails to jackhu0501@gmail.com or find Jack hu on facebook. I know it takes time so i am thinking to pay for that.

Thanks everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 05:48 AM

466 posts, read 901,632 times
I don't think you can live like a New Yorker unless you live and work here long-term like a New Yorker. That's the only way to get the 'authentic' experience. Waking up early, getting ready for work, doing your daily commute, etc. That's what New York is like on the average day for most able-bodied adults. During free time, people do whatever they want because everyone is different, so I can't tell you what to do. But, if you were me, here's what I'd do: hit up the tourist areas, then when I tired of all that, just pick a direction and start walking. Walk around and explore the area around where you are staying, do that at least for a day or two. If I walk past something interesting, I stop and check it out. Maybe it's a shop, a restaurant, a park, or a museum. When I'm ready to see more of the city, I get on the subway and start visiting the other boroughs.

IMO, walking around is the best way to see what the city is like. I have a lot of fun just walking around neighborhoods I haven't visited before.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:00 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
I don't think you can live like a New Yorker unless you live and work here long-term like a New Yorker. That's the only way to get the 'authentic' experience. Waking up early, getting ready for work, doing your daily commute, etc. That's what New York is like on the average day for most able-bodied adults.
That's what every city is like...

Old 07-16-2013, 08:56 AM

119 posts, read 206,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhu View Post
Hi Everyone. Glad to know you here.
I will have to spend one month in NYC in the end of 2013. To be honest,i have never been to the United States before. So i am kind of worried about what the life would be like in NYC, the center of the world,maybe.
I would like to find someone who can help me to live like a New Yorker,i mean, to know how to do everything like a native people. Like go to a hospital.banks,visiting interesting places.etc.
Any of you ,if you have any suggestions or recommendations,let me know. You can send mails to jackhu0501@gmail.com or find Jack hu on facebook. I know it takes time so i am thinking to pay for that.

Thanks everybody!

One month is not really enough tim eto live like a new yorker. by tht etime you know where things are and how to navigate the subways you will be back on a flight home.

Embrace being a tourist.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 PM

466 posts, read 901,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
That's what every city is like...
Well, he asked.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:50 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
You're a visitor if you're staying for 1 month. No adapting required except for culture since you have never been to the US before, but even then it's just a vacation.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
As already stated, one cannot adapt to life as a NYer in one month. If you have any other specific questions about New York then I am sure people will be happy to answer those questions.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:17 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Excuse me, but that's a completely wrong way to visit a city. You don't want to do everything like native people, and banks and hospitals would be totally boring. There are a lot of guidebooks for NYC. Buy a few and see what you'd enjoy doing. New York is a city of very distinct neighborhoods - including a "Chinatown" - so you should explore. Decide if you're interested in concerts, or movies, or parks, or restaurants, or museums - it's up to you.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 AM

Thank you very much for your kind reply.
I will surely take your advice to walk around the city to find interesting places.
I am kind of shy and unsociable. I want to make friends in NYC because each year i will have to stay there for more than 2 months.It seems the New Yorkers are so busy. So i do not know where to find people to talk to. Maybe i just worry too much.
Anyway, thanks !Bremsstrahlung

Old 07-20-2013, 01:30 AM

Thanks!

As a foreigner who never been to the united states before, i have too much things to worried about. Maybe, i should be not like this. Like you said,every city is the same. I am sure i can quickly adapt to the life when i been there. Hopefully,i can make some friends there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City