Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:29 PM

33 posts, read 71,083 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum and would like to see myself relocated next year sometime. I have spent most my days growing up in the midwest near Kansas City. NYC has been on my mind for years, and my first trip will be next month. Very excited! So my question is what is the typical day in the life of someone living in NYC? It will be a total culture shock for me im sure, but im completely ready for it!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 05:54 PM

756 posts, read 2,281,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclark8 View Post
Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum and would like to see myself relocated next year sometime. I have spent most my days growing up in the midwest near Kansas City. NYC has been on my mind for years, and my first trip will be next month. Very excited! So my question is what is the typical day in the life of someone living in NYC? It will be a total culture shock for me im sure, but im completely ready for it!
thanks
No offense, but these kind of topics are hilarious to me. What do you think we do? Honestly, we do the same things that anyone else living virtually anywhere else in the U.S. does–we grocery shop, we eat out, we go to work, we watch T.V., we read, we walk our dogs, we go on dates, etc., etc.

The whole idea of New Yorker has a separate species is comical to me. I often feel like I'm living in a human terrarium when I walk down Bleecker Street near my apartment and have tourists in the big double-decker busses taking photos of nothing more than old walk-up tenements and shops.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,045,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
No offense, but these kind of topics are hilarious to me. What do you think we do? Honestly, we do the same things that anyone else living virtually anywhere else in the U.S. does–we grocery shop, we eat out, we go to work, we watch T.V., we read, we walk our dogs, we go on dates, etc., etc.

The whole idea of New Yorker has a separate species is comical to me. I often feel like I'm living in a human terrarium when I walk down Bleecker Street near my apartment and have tourists in the big double-decker busses taking photos of nothing more than old walk-up tenements and shops.
I know what you mean. But to be a bit fair, most people who don't live on the East coast have ever seen buildings this old. A coworker was visiting from Denver a few years ago and was fascinated by the old buildings. Everything around her is about 50 years old or younger. Even the 'old' buildings are usually only 100 or so.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:24 PM

442 posts, read 1,298,268 times
id imagine the same as anywhere else except its super crowded and you have to fight for a spot on the highway or in the subway.

i actually just got back from a fierce fight for my life on the BQE and LIE, and the tires on my cars almost came off because of the potholes.

but on the plus side, theres a bar right up the block from my apt. then im about to walk to.best you cant do that in wisconsin!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:28 PM

769 posts, read 2,053,802 times
Why do you think you want to live in NYC if you have never been there? It's cold, you have to walk a lot and use public transportation, work days can be very long. This is not the paradise TV shows and movies depict it to be. People don't go shopping all the time, don't eat out at well known restaurants every day, apartments are very small, etc. Normal life just like everyone else.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,358,915 times
Let's see- normal work day: wake up at 7am, shower & dress, leave for work by 8:15. Spend 30-35 minutes riding a bus exactly 2 miles to my office, work until 7-8pm (no lunch "hour", just 5-10 minutes to run across the street and spend $10-13 on a salad and a diet coke). Decide to walk home for exercise. Arrive home (which is a 275sf "studio" apartment I pay $1500/mo to rent), spend $50 picking up a few work clothes items at the dry cleaners, nibble on cheese & crackers for dinner because my grocery budget is $40/wk, watch local news, go to bed.

"Typical" Saturday- wake up, go for walk (Maybe in Central Park if weather is good and I feel like schlepping over there), run errands/do housework, meet friends for dinner at a medium-nice restaurant ($60, including 1 drink), go out for drinks (3 beers = $25), and take a cab home ($15).

Old 10-28-2010, 12:38 AM

956 posts, read 1,209,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I know what you mean. But to be a bit fair, most people who don't live on the East coast have ever seen buildings this old. A coworker was visiting from Denver a few years ago and was fascinated by the old buildings. Everything around her is about 50 years old or younger. Even the 'old' buildings are usually only 100 or so.
Agreed. Also to be fair it's a culture shock for most people coming to NYC. They never saw so many tall buildings and people so close together.

It will be the same way if any New Yorkers went to a farm in the middle of the country with barely any civilization for miles on end.

New York City is a great city, but IMO it's better to visit here once in a while then live. The cost of living is not worth the benefits.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 AM

33 posts, read 71,083 times
Thanks for all the replies.. and to answer any questions about why i would want to come to NYC. It just seems like a big change, and that is exactly what I am looking for in my life.. Like really, can you imagine living in a small Missouri town your whole life? It can get kind of depressing if you are wanting more out of life.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 AM

527 posts, read 1,021,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclark8 View Post
Thanks for all the replies.. and to answer any questions about why i would want to come to NYC. It just seems like a big change, and that is exactly what I am looking for in my life.. Like really, can you imagine living in a small Missouri town your whole life? It can get kind of depressing if you are wanting more out of life.
Well it is smart that you are just not packing up and "aimlessly" moving to NYC- Definitely come in for a "few" visits before you decide if the move will really be for you-

I am sure you are anxiously waiting for your trip! thats great- Hope you enjoy your vacation here- Venture out and explore!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,399,110 times
There is nothing wrong with just packing up and "aimlessly" moving to NYC. Those kinds of things are what life is all about..and so long as you set your expectations appropriately (you should not believe you will be living in a 2,000 sf loft in Tribeca, and have your dream job earning $250,000 within a month), and do your homework/research, then you should just have fun, enjoy the ride. And if you absolutely hate it you can simply leave.

Don't let people scare you into not doing something you want to do. Americans in general are afraid of everything and anything, and they let their fear control them. So long as you have reasonable expectations and do your research, I say go for it and give it a shot.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 10-28-2010 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City