Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:55 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times

Advertisements

Yes. My Dil grandma. She is a darling. 97. Years old And lives in the very house she was born. Got married in the backyard. Raised her family there. Back then families stayed on the farms. That homestead is beautiful. Granted it still has all the fond memories of four generations. But I get the feeling this lady did right in how she became a mom ,wife,loving daughter and caring friend. Can't ask for much more . To think she did that with people adoring her and not expecting her to run far far away to gain her status. To love being all those roles ...what a life she has had !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 10:13 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Yes, my husband's aunt. Her mother is still living (she's 94), and the aunt is 55. She holds down a well-paying government job and has an advanced degree, so she would have been perfectly capable of moving out on her own at a normal age. She chose not to for some reason. As far as anybody in the family is aware, she has never dated. It doesn't seem to bother her that life is passing her by, and she has no family of her own. I've spent time with them to observe the family dynamics, and I don't get the impression that the aunt is pampered or treated as a child, so I don't understand how she turned out that way. I really can't comprehend it. I was the exact opposite. Right after turning 18, I was out the door. I moved in with a roommate. I held a full-time job, although it was a minimum wage, fast-food job, and I struggled to pay my half of the rent. I could barely afford to feed myself at times, but it was worth it to me for my independence!
Getting an advanced degree is a 6 year endevor minimum and if they lived at home during that time then it sort of becomes a life style (thats over half a decade). Some people dont want to struggle or be stressed out that much or deal with the burdens of debt that rent can force someone to take on who is working on a degree and then an advanced degree. The stress of the financials most certainly causes the grades to slip, I know it did for me.

I think the USA is very slowly moving to this sort of dynamic like in China or Tiawan, even if the "independant american" lifestyle goes out loud and screaming, the financials are not going to support it for most people. People that try to go out and do the whole individualims american thing will either be extremely lucky (full ride scholarships and subsequent job offers for the very rare cushy well paid jobs) or they will be faced with homelessness, living in their car maybe an appartment here and there with a dead end job. there will be very little inbetween.

Right now its not socially acceptable and can hamper romantic relationships, but as more people are forced into these sitautions romantic relationships will build in these situatations (because they are most certianly not going to flourish in a homelessness sort of situation).

Old 03-25-2018, 10:16 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Yes. My Dil grandma. She is a darling. 97. Years old And lives in the very house she was born. Got married in the backyard. Raised her family there. Back then families stayed on the farms. That homestead is beautiful. Granted it still has all the fond memories of four generations. But I get the feeling this lady did right in how she became a mom ,wife,loving daughter and caring friend. Can't ask for much more . To think she did that with people adoring her and not expecting her to run far far away to gain her status. To love being all those roles ...what a life she has had !
She was never exposed to vulture capitalism or idol rent seekers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology