Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 PM

7,954 posts, read 8,253,783 times

Advertisements

Does anyone think that social anxiety has become more prevalent in the western world? And if so why?

I guess I bring this up because, well at least on the internet, there's seems to be a boatloads of people who are apprehensive towards socializing with other people. I'm very interested in hearing opinions as to what is causing so much social anxiety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,459,367 times
I don't think it has.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM

102,453 posts, read 108,880,609 times
maybe after it finally got diagnosed and understood, there's been more discussion and awareness of it.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 AM

936 posts, read 2,069,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Does anyone think that social anxiety has become more prevalent in the western world? And if so why?

I guess I bring this up because, well at least on the internet, there's seems to be a boatloads of people who are apprehensive towards socializing with other people. I'm very interested in hearing opinions as to what is causing so much social anxiety.
It depends on what you mean by "social anxiety". There's a spectrum on forms ranging from merely feeling uneasy talking to strangers up to a debilitating clinical condition. It also depends on where, when and over what priod of time you look at the prevalence of social anxiety.

I think people in America have become more wary of strangers over the last, say, 20 years. But I don't think the percentage of people meeting DSM criteria for social phobia is necessarily significantly higher. (I could be wrong about that; I don't have any statistics at hand, but I don't think it's the case.)

Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 AM

3,565 posts, read 8,025,965 times
Quote:

I can't speak for the western world as a whole, but I think social anxiety has likely increased in the United States for a variety of reasons. I don't feel like trying to explain, but hopefully somebody else does.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,014,783 times
Quote:

Who knows, how can we accuraly measure social anxiety in populations? Suicide statistics? Before people didn't have computers to voice their anxieties. They also had to interact more with others to get their basic needs, so maybe it wasn't that they were not as anxious but that they didn't have any other choice than to talk to others.

But then we have the argument that diagnosing people with anxieties or labeling people predisposes them to behave in a certain way in the future and sets them up for failure. But then we can say good cognitive therapy can help people manage their feelings better through self awareness and minimize anxiety.

I don't know the answer. I think it's probably about the same but I don't have enough evidence to support my claim

Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,957,219 times
I had pretty bad social anxiety due to shutting myself in on the PC for years during my teens to mid 20s. Once I was forced by necessity to interact with the outside world it subsided pretty well. I'm still hardly sociable or outgoing, but I'm not as afraid of people or the outside world like I once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology