Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Failing God or my family.

Wasting time.

stinging insects.

getting poked in the eye. I have a phobia about anything touching my eyes. Lasik is out of the question.

That is all I can think of. Sometimes I have a fear of heights. sometimes it is not there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
(In order of current fear to fear that's a long way off still)

That my dad will pass away before I get married. He's quite old now & I don't see a wedding happening for a while still.

That neither of my parents will ever see me have kids...if I ever have them. I'm their only child so it's not like they're already grandparents.

Will I ever have the great life I've yearned for? Good marriage, maybe a child, nice home, being able to travel, stable/long-lasting job? So far, I'm in my 30s & none of that is showing up yet.

When I get very old, who will take care of me & what will become of me? So far, I'm not married, have no kids, no close friends.

OVERALL, that the years just zoom by & I would not have accomplished much.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM

260 posts, read 337,620 times
Oh my...where do I start....

Flying (was in a near miss in 1985 - we lost our landing gear and had to make an emergency landing)
Elevators (highly claustrophobic due to being trapped on that plane for hours)
Having a severe allergic reaction
Choking to death
Being assaulted
Stinging insects (I've never been stung and I'm afraid of a bad reaction)
Blood (I even get woozy when one of my cats has blood taken at the vet's)
Cancer (first husband had a brain tumor and died)
Losing my eyesight (my first husband went blind due to his brain tumor)
Losing my husband (already happened once when I just turned 30)
Getting older (losing my physical and mental abilities and looking old) I just turned 50 and my mortality is staring me in the face.
Being alone in my older years (I have very little family of my own)
Death and what happens afterwards (I don't think anything)

Most of my fears are a result of real-life things that have already happened to me or loved ones. Interestingly enough - the thing most people fear - speaking in public - is something I've done quite often and don't mind.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Looking at my life and feeling like a failure is my biggest fear.

I don't want to look back on my life and feel like I compromised all of myself for others and didn't pursue my desires. I'm a curious person and I need to follow my heart. If I don't trust myself or my heart and forsake that for others opinions, views, etc, I always regret it. And that's a failure to me.
I initially put this up as my fear...but I think I'm wrong now. I don't carry this fear anymore because I overcame it.

I think my biggest fear tends to be more immediate things like not graduating nursing school as I planned is currently my biggest fear. It's just not being able to fulfill my individual dreams and goals.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
Dying alone and no one finds me for months....maybe a year later.
Being found dead on the toilet before I had a chance to wipe my butt. Just joking....maybe being found dead in the bath tub and my arrogant son commenting "His penis is smaller that I expected" - as if I would be at my best and most manly as a corpse? Dying alone does not bother me- death to me is very private and I don't want anyone hovering over me as I make peace with my maker.

The other thing that I find repulsive is the idea of an autopsy. I can't stand the thought of some jerk sawing off the top of my head or slopping my in sides on a table and weighing them....embalming also bothers me...I just wish I could bury myself in some nice dark earth in a spot where swallows and sparrows would entertain me for eternity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology