Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:18 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,632,442 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear opinions from ladies on this matter. I have heard from people and read articles that say that women today are under more pressure than ever to look in a certain way to be accepted in society. At the same time I have noticed terms that have come up like Big Beautiful Woman among others which people say have been developed to make women who dont necessarily conform to the ideals of what some outlets consider the ideal woman to be accepted as well. I don't judge anyone on what should or should not be acceptable since we are all different people. So what I want to know is how do ladies feel about this matter. Do you think the media as well as the magazine industry and hollywood put a lot of pressure on women to look a certain way or do those indutries just reflect what people in general like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Well, it's interesting. We had a poll in the Relationships section, asking if guys liked women with an athletic figure, or a curvy figure. Now, the media for decades have been portraying slim women as the ideal. But the vast majority of the guys on the poll said they preferred curvy women, women with a some extra weight. So here women have been dieting forever, trying to fit the ideal the media is pushing, when in reality, when men want is something completely different.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
Media = fiction.

Look around at real people in real life, that's where the truth is. And you don't have to look a certain way to have a good life.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:11 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,196,349 times
I would like to see MORE pressure put on women to just be themselves instead following along with the latest style/fashion/junk that the media puts out.

Why do some women think it's sooooooo important to look a certain way, wear a certain fashion, and, worse of all, THINK a certain way????

Makes me wonder about the general intelligence level of those that follow the crowd instead of thinking for themselves.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:21 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,837,463 times
No one can put any pressure on you that you don't accept. I feel like women put pressure on themselves. Think about it this way: Let's say society does put pressure on women, well if none of us gave in then the pressure would be sooner than later removed. We do not live in a communist society. We all have choices. I choose to dance by the beat of my own drum...and it's working great for me. I understand conforming to rules in a professional environment, but outside of the office..pssht. My life, my choice, my image.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:44 PM

The constant media images can have an effect on teen girls. It's not pressure, exactly, but it does have an influence on the psyche. It's not only about weight, but about having a model's looks.

Take French films as a contrast. French actresses mostly look like ordinary people, not beauty queens. If this were the norm in Hollywood, women and girls would feel much more comfortable with themselves. Instead, the ideal that's plastered everywhere in ads, magazines, TV and films is something that's unattainable for many women.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,622,611 times
Women need to stop following the trends of Hollywood, the biggest cesspool in the country, and allowing such a media to dictate their wants and needs. First it was the Heroin Look for Models, whereas models looked like they were on Heroin, then it was the Puppy look, everyone walking around with a puppy, then was the Interracial look, where women went out of their way to seek certain type of men, then it was the Bad Boy look, men with shaved hair, and tattos all over their bodies, straight out of the penetentiary.

After that came the Live with your boyfriend theme, and the Adopt an interracial baby theme, the Do not get married theme, and now is the Have a baby without a father theme. This one can be devastating to women in general, as well as to society. Hollywood actresses make million of dollars, so they can have, or adopt all the children they want, but we have many women that can barely make a decent paycheck and support themselves or are not ready for motherhood.

If the purpose of Hollywood is to decline the moral values of our society, and bring women down..........they are doing a great job!!!!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
No one can put any pressure on you that you don't accept. I feel like women put pressure on themselves. Think about it this way: Let's say society does put pressure on women, well if none of us gave in then the pressure would be sooner than later removed. We do not live in a communist society. We all have choices. I choose to dance by the beat of my own drum...and it's working great for me. I understand conforming to rules in a professional environment, but outside of the office..pssht. My life, my choice, my image.
If only peer pressure was that easy to resist. Most of us WANT to fit in, so we CHOOSE things to conform. Anyone with a basic understanding of human behaviour will know that trying to go against this hardwired human urge can seem almost futile. And even very intelligent, aware people are not immune. Why then, do you see so few people bucking the trend, if were all so individual? Ideas such as the fashion for thinness are memetic, just like how languages spread. They come and they go, so as long as they aren't too harmful sometimes its easier just to wait them out. By all means, continue to encourage people to think critically about how the world around them influences their thinking, but don't start from the assumption were all autonomous islands.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:16 AM

Girls can be very vulnerable to media images affecting their self-esteem. It's not about following Hollywood. If the girls in the movies they see and the TV programs they watch all have perfect figures and beautiful features, if their favorite girl musicians fit the same mold, if the popular girls at school are perfect-looking, this can affect more average girls' self-image.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:48 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,837,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The constant media images can have an effect on teen girls. It's not pressure, exactly, but it does have an influence on the psyche. It's not only about weight, but about having a model's looks.

Take French films as a contrast. French actresses mostly look like ordinary people, not beauty queens. If this were the norm in Hollywood, women and girls would feel much more comfortable with themselves. Instead, the ideal that's plastered everywhere in ads, magazines, TV and films is something that's unattainable for many women.
Young girls I understand, grown women...not so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If only peer pressure was that easy to resist. Most of us WANT to fit in, so we CHOOSE things to conform. Anyone with a basic understanding of human behaviour will know that trying to go against this hardwired human urge can seem almost futile. And even very intelligent, aware people are not immune. Why then, do you see so few people bucking the trend, if were all so individual? Ideas such as the fashion for thinness are memetic, just like how languages spread. They come and they go, so as long as they aren't too harmful sometimes its easier just to wait them out. By all means, continue to encourage people to think critically about how the world around them influences their thinking, but don't start from the assumption were all autonomous islands.
Once again, grown women not so much. I just can't understand a grown woman complaining about media pressure put on her. Young girls, yes thats why it's important for parents to not conform to everything and be an example to their young daughters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology