Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 03:28 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Kenmore 16542 - White 14.8 cu. ft. Chest Freezer - ENERGY STAR®

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

This Kenmore chest freezer is just the right size for my needs, measuring 35 inches high, 28 inches wide, and 29 ½ inches deep. It comes with 2 lift-out, plastic baskets, which fit along the unit's lip, and removable, interlocking, adjustable dividers to use to separate food in the bottom of the freezer. Combined, the baskets and dividers make it really easy to customize the organization of the freezer contents. This Kenmore model is white, with a textured finish that I find less than attractive, but the freezer is located in my basement laundry room, so that was not a deal breaker for me. It is rated to hold up to 518 lbs. of frozen food and, as an ENERGY STAR® appliance,is economical in its use of energy. The manufacturer specifications indicate it uses 435 kilowatt hours per year, but I have not actually verified that. I can say that I didn't discern any major difference in my electric bill after I installed this unit.

This Kenmore model doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that other freezers offer. There is no high temperature alarm, no quick-freeze option, and no digital displays. In my mind, these items are just more things that can break, though, and the Kenmore 16542 has all the basics--such as an interior light and a frost indicator button. There is a temperature control adjustment in the interior of the unit. It also has a keyed lock for those who have children or who may be keeping the freezer in the garage and want to prevent theft. (This being said, any serious thief could, no doubt, break into it with little difficulty.) If I were to change anything, I would prefer that the baskets were made of coated metal as they were in a freezer I owned previously. The freezer has to be defrosted manually, as did every other chest freezer I considered prior to purchasing this one, but I really haven't had a problem with frost build-up.

The MSRP of this product is $499.99, but it can be purchased for at least 25% less than this. I found it to be competitively priced for a mid-sized chest freezer, and I saved enough by purchasing meats and other items when there was a good sale on them to pay for the freezer within a year's time. The convenience factor of having so much food at my fingertips has just been icing on the cake.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,008 times
I just purchased a 15 cu ft Frigidaire refrigerator and haven't heard a fridge run this loudly. They replaced the compressor, and it still has a loud vibrating noise. I'm close to purchasing another fridge and am considering this make/model . Does anyone have any input as to any problems with loud running noise with this Kenmore 14.8 cu ft fridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews