Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 05:08 PM

150 posts, read 165,339 times

Advertisements

In the past years, the NFL has tried to get fans in the UK and is possibly making a new team/moving a team to London.

However, the popularity of the NFL in UK hasn't grown that much. It is growing a lot in Latin America though(especially Brazil and Mexico). These are the countries where the NFL currently has more fans:

As a Brazilian, I can say the number of people who like the NFL is growing fast here(I myself am a fan). Out of the 11 guys I studied with last year, for example, 5 or 6 of them were big fans and the others knew at least some of the names of the teams. Mexico has had fans since the 70's but now it seems more people are getting interested in American Football.

Here in Brazil, I believe the NFL has been getting fans here since 2006, when "ESPN Brasil" started broadcasting some games(ESPN now broadcasts 6 games a week here and there is another channel that broadcasts some games too) and in the last 3 years the number of people watching increased 800%. ESPN also leads the cable TV as the most watched channel(including channels not related to sports) between people aged 18-24 during the night games(SNF, MNF, TNF). I'd say Brazil is soon to be the country with the 2nd biggest number of NFL fans(just behind the US, of course).

Also, recently there's been some rumors of a possible Pro Bowl held in Brazil in 2017. I found it nice, it means the NFL is aware of the popularity in Latin America.

So, what do you think of this growing popularity in Latin America(especially Brazil and Mexico)? Should the NFL "move its eyes" from UK to Latin America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 05:23 PM

22,625 posts, read 47,766,032 times
Steelers have a huge Mexican following!

Old 06-19-2015, 05:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,996,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
They have an estimated 500,000 fans living in Mexico. The Mexicans actually living in Pittsburgh mostly couldn't care less

Old 06-19-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
True, that's probably because when Mexicans first started watching American football, in the 70s, Pittsburgh Steelers used to be a dominant team

Old 06-20-2015, 06:55 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,620,651 times
Actually, that totally surprises me. I always thought Mexico was all into the COWBOYS?

Old 06-20-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Actually, that totally surprises me. I always thought Mexico was all into the COWBOYS?
Cowboys have a great number of supporters too.

What surprises me more is that New England Patriots is currently the most popular team in UK, it's totally weird. Why would people in England support a team with that name?

Old 06-20-2015, 04:10 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,620,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelven View Post

What surprises me more is that New England Patriots is currently the most popular team in UK, it's totally weird. Why would people in England support a team with that name?
Ha! That's seriously ironic!

What's surprising to me is why the Brits stopped trying to get the colonies back (?) .

Old 06-20-2015, 06:58 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,248,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelven View Post

Maybe because you are focusing on the wrong part of the team's name.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Maybe because you are focusing on the wrong part of the team's name.
England is the biggest part of the UK, so obviously there are lots support of the Pats there

Old 06-26-2015, 08:09 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,018,974 times
I'm interested in knowing what teams are popular among NFL fans in Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football