Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 21,920 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Everyone,
I'm having a tough time finding a job in Portland related to the Deaf community or American Sign Language Interpreting. However, I came across some opportunities in Salem. We definitely do not want to live in Salem, but what is the commute like? What if we lived around Oregon City and commuted to Salem?
Also, is there website/newspaper that local jobs tend to post openings? Of course I'm searching online and such, but it seems that Portland area has plenty of hidden secrets
Care to share??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 12:35 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Willsonville would be a good choice if you want to have the option of working in either Portland or Salem.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
Local daily newspaper: The Oregonian
Oregon and Portland Local Jobs - OregonLive.com

BTW: the Oregonian is a truly great local daily newspaper. One of a dying breed.
You may have a bit more success looking into the VA hospital in Portland, or one of the big major hospitals
Human Resources Management Division - Portland VA Medical Center
I don't know if they (doctors, nurses, administrators, etc) use ASL interpreters to exchange info with patients and families on a paid basis.

Phil

Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 AM

7 posts, read 18,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigningLife View Post
Good Morning Everyone,
I'm having a tough time finding a job in Portland related to the Deaf community or American Sign Language Interpreting. However, I came across some opportunities in Salem. We definitely do not want to live in Salem, but what is the commute like? What if we lived around Oregon City and commuted to Salem?
Also, is there website/newspaper that local jobs tend to post openings? Of course I'm searching online and such, but it seems that Portland area has plenty of hidden secrets
Care to share??
I am thinking of moving to the Portland area and am just curious why you wouldn't consider Salem? I'm not someone who is going to start a long "bashing" thread or anything, but I have been looking at real estate in several areas surrounding Portland and thought Salem seemed cute. Just curious and anyone can answer! Thank you!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Local daily newspaper: The Oregonian
Oregon and Portland Local Jobs - OregonLive.com

BTW: the Oregonian is a truly great local daily newspaper. One of a dying breed.
You may have a bit more success looking into the VA hospital in Portland, or one of the big major hospitals
Human Resources Management Division - Portland VA Medical Center
I don't know if they (doctors, nurses, administrators, etc) use ASL interpreters to exchange info with patients and families on a paid basis.

Phil
Thanx for the OregonLive link. Great Site!

Old 04-04-2010, 10:39 AM

As I haven't lived in Salem I am in no position to comment about its livability.

Basically Salem is a government town, our State Capital.

Portland is Oregon's business center.

There is nothing wrong with either community, and there are many others that may be suitable to you if cute is what you are seeking.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:26 PM

Thank you for your post! Portland is great, I would just rather live in a smaller town. : ))

Old 04-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Have you looked at Newberg, McMinnville or Silverton?? I haven't explored them in many a year but that is where I would tell a friend to look if they wanted cute/quaint.

The coast has several that qualify too.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:02 PM

6 posts, read 21,920 times
I don't have anything negative to say about Salem, but it just seemed like a sleepy town to me. I liked the feel of Portland and the surrounding suburbs. Plus, Portland area seemed to have more trees and was more lush. IMO.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigningLife View Post
I don't have anything negative to say about Salem, but it just seemed like a sleepy town to me. I liked the feel of Portland and the surrounding suburbs. Plus, Portland area seemed to have more trees and was more lush. IMO.
You haven't seen Orenco, Tanasbourne or Beaverton then, not very lush. Salem has its lush spots. You can't have it all. Using Google statistics it costs $30/dy! To commute by car from PDX burb to downtown. To commute from PDX to Salem is unsustainable for anything less than 80K/yr in salary. Its not really living when you work ~40K/yr and try to live like a big shot with uber commute, etc. You can do it for a time but... ... ...

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland