Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 12:59 AM

11 posts, read 46,734 times

Advertisements

After browsing the City-Data forums for a while I decided to join in some of the conversation.
I recently moved back to the Portland area after spending 3 years in Salt Lake City for school. I'm back living with my parents again and looking to get out and find my own place in Portland (the closer to Portland State University the better...I'm finishing my degree and don't want to drive more than I have to!!)
I just got a job today and will be making around $1200/month. I had a job with identical wages and hours in Salt Lake City and was able to comfortably afford my own place for about $550/mo with utilities and everything. My long-time girlfriend will also be relocating from Salt Lake City to Portland to live with me later this year, once she gets a job we should be making $2000-$2400/mo.
I'd like some input from all of you about what parts of Portland I could afford. Anything along the MAX or the Streetcar would be preferred. I'm trying to budget around $650/mo maximum for rent. I like Northwest Portland along Lovejoy but I'm a bit concerned that it may be out of my price range. I wouldn't mind living in North Portland along Interstate either.
Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,973 times
With a lot of effort, searching, and spending lots of time looking, Yes it is theoretically possible to find a cheap small 1 br apartment in NW Portland in your price range, but Utilities would most likely be extra.

BTW: if you look for places to live down along the South Waterfront area where the Streetcar runs south-east of PSU, would you mind posting back here about the price ranges? I have looked (from car and buses) at the large amount of construction of apartments, townhouses, and such along the streetcar route. Plus, I have to admit I have no clue about the so called "South Portland" area that includes that south Waterfront area Liar Hill, John's landings, Corbitt, and Tewilliger neighborhoods with regards to rental prices.

We had a thread awhile back and someone was looking at large apartment in the south Waterfront area at about $1800.00 per month taking up 1/2 of the 28th floor or something, Much further along toward the end of the street car and / or the #35 (#43?) bus line there might be some reasonably priced apartments. But I just don't know much about that area.

Thanks.

Last edited by philwithbeard; 01-06-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: add an after-thought

Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 PM

phil: i've got job training this week on lovejoy and i'm planning on looking around the general area to get an idea of prices and such. the south waterfront area looks really nice but i'm not sure if it'll be affordable since it's all new construction high-rises... i may go check it out just for novelty's sake though.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:19 PM

569 posts, read 1,820,687 times
I looked for a solid 2 months in the NW 21st and 23rd area before moving to Portland. I noticed that the closer you were to burnside and the commercial area the higher the rents for a studio / 1 bedroom apartment was closer to $700-800/month. The farther north from Burnside and the farther east of 21st the rents lowered to maybe $600 but never saw anything for $500. Since the cheaper rents in NW are farther north it would make more sense to look in areas south of Burnside if you are commuting to PSU. Hope this helps.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
I looked for a solid 2 months in the NW 21st and 23rd area before moving to Portland. I noticed that the closer you were to burnside and the commercial area the higher the rents for a studio / 1 bedroom apartment was closer to $700-800/month. The farther north from Burnside and the farther east of 21st the rents lowered to maybe $600 but never saw anything for $500. Since the cheaper rents in NW are farther north it would make more sense to look in areas south of Burnside if you are commuting to PSU. Hope this helps.
Yup, this is pretty much dead on. I do know someone that was lucky enough to find a studi near naito prkway for $450 just by walking around. So if you hit the pavement you may be able to find something in your price range. Also check out craigslist, and look for people looking for a roommate.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 PM

I've pretty much given up on searching for places through craigslist or another online means. the last apartment i found i was able to get a steal on it. it was in a great area right in the middle of downtown Salt Lake City. I found that place by spending a day walking around and calling places that had for rent signs up. i think i may do the same in Portland.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
Portland State may have a housing office where students seeking roomates can post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: