Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 07:21 PM

211 posts, read 545,071 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Love those pics. Im thinking of moving to Oregon soon. Just dont know where I should go to look
for work. Im retired and my son is comming with me and he works in Wherehouses as a forklift driver.
Any info on places like that would be a great help. I thought Portland would be a good place becasue of its size. should have some work for my son.? Like I said any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
pennel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 04:56 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,488,035 times
Every week there is a new job posting for experienced fork lift driver. If you had earned one of those certification things for driving a fork lift, even better.

More than once in the few weeks I have been in Portland I have heard that a fork lift certification is more valuable for getting a job than a state teaching certificate.

Yes, some places have a high turn over rate, but if you drive a forklift, you are aware of the issues when a company advertises they are "high-energy and fast-paced company" and then claims to seek "safe workers" and who gets blamed for what.

Phil

Old 09-27-2009, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,095 times
I haven't been to Portland but i saw its photos i think that Oregon is the best state in USA. For me Oregon climate is IDEAL

Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 AM

701 posts, read 2,032,607 times
Oregon is beautiful, no doubt and Portland is an awesome little city. A fair amount of rain, but if that isn't a problem I think it's a nice location and deserving of consideration.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:11 PM

151 posts, read 233,547 times
pennel, Portland is very nice and new arrivals always seem pleased with their choice, as far as I can see. Employment is in a slump here, so I would definitely have your son research the job market for his particular skills, to find out what's currently available.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,095 times
Little city? O dont think so. Its not so big? but not too little so its nice

Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,556,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennel View Post
Hi Everyone,
Love those pics. Im thinking of moving to Oregon soon. Just dont know where I should go to look
for work. Im retired and my son is comming with me and he works in Wherehouses as a forklift driver.
Any info on places like that would be a great help. I thought Portland would be a good place becasue of its size. should have some work for my son.? Like I said any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
pennel
Lots of links here: Sticky: Coming to Oregon? Check these links for FAQ s before posting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland