Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,133 times

Advertisements

I'm a young hippie/anarchist type looking to move to the PNW. I don't want to own a car, so I need to be within biking distance of a bike friendly city. I want to be close to the forests -- this is paramount. Schools don't matter. Crime doesn't matter. Employment isn't a big deal; assuming I'm in biking distance of the city I'll find something.

Where around Portland can I live that'll be easy to get around without a car?

Where I'm from nice houses are around $200k. Nice apartments are around $500/month. I don't mind living in sub-nice places. I'm looking to rent. I want access to locally grown food. I don't buy much and I live very cheaply. I think people commonly call my desired lifestyle 'simple' although I'd just call it less consumerist.

Is the Portland area what I'm looking for? Is there some other area in the PNW with equal natural beauty and the same possibility to live free of a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 PM

15,587 posts, read 40,472,737 times
The cheapest rent you will find will run around $600 or so for a studio, unless you want to have a roommate.

Portland is bike friendly and easy to navigate without a car. I'd try and rent closer to the max. You can take your bike on the max and buses out here, so it's not a huge issue.

I think the Belmont area would be worth considering. As far as being "close" to the forests...not sure what you are talking about there. Portland is a major city so other than Forest Park there aren't any forests close by. You'd have to head to Zig Zag to be close to the Forests and that is out of bike distance for most people.

We have lots of anarchists, hippie types in Portland and Eugene. You'll have no problem feeling comfortable in the city.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 14,939 times
I can second Belmont. I used to live at Belmont and SE 29th and it was great. There is a coffee shop called The Pied Cow just a few blocks down the sidewalk; it's in a lovely house with a side yard where you can sit, drink all manner of beverages, and chat away the evening. Eclectic neighborhood. I wouldn't mind moving back there some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland