Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,490 times

Advertisements

What, if any, are the differences between living in either of these 2 counties? Are property taxes different? Sales taxes, governments, schools? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 03:15 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
There are NO SALES TAXES in Oregon.

Multnomah County today is almost concurrent with the City of Portland. What is left out is tough for them to serve. For example, they don't have any building department so construction permits and inspection for unincorporated areas is done by the City of Portland. However, they control land use planning for unincorporated areas which results in conflict with the owner caught in the middle. Also, my impression is that Multnomah County is often more of a PITA when compared to Clackamas County (impression, not based on any analytics).

Old 03-05-2009, 03:48 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
The People's Republic of Multnomah County has higher property taxes (in general) and recently the residents passed a new county income tax. They also tax business higher.

If you don't want to be forced to wear a little red hat with a star on it and call each other 'commrade', then I might suggest Clackamas County.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
The People's Republic of Multnomah County has higher property taxes (in general) and recently the residents passed a new county income tax. They also tax business higher.

If you don't want to be forced to wear a little red hat with a star on it and call each other 'commrade', then I might suggest Clackamas County.
^^^ He's right. Multnomah has an anti business climate, an "in your face" nanny style of government and some a pretty corrupt politicians. Things get a little more sane in either Clackamas or Washington County.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
^^^ He's right. Multnomah has an anti business climate, an "in your face" nanny style of government and some a pretty corrupt politicians. Things get a little more sane in either Clackamas or Washington County.
and even better outside the metro counties (especially for businesses). So consider this if you plan any 'self-employment' or business activities, or have to rent a car... or any other petty tax snags.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:49 AM

Thanks. What about across the river in Vancouver or Camas (there may also be a job opening there for us too that we just found out about, also maybe one in Sandy)?

I lived in S Oregon for many years, and have relatives in Portland, so I know a bit about the area, but also know that many cities are now taxing things like restaurants, and starting to have their own sales taxes to pay for schools etc... I should have clarified myself.

I wish we could come check these places out ourselves, but we're across the country right now.

Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
WA doesn't have income tax, so that is a 9% raise, but they have an 8% sales tax.

So if you spend more than you earn OR would be better. If you need schools then WA usually wins.

Both places are very tight on jobs. For schools look to Camas, WA or Sandy, / Boring, OR

WA is tough on business taxes (If you operate one), Property taxes are high in each state, but vary a lot within each area, so choose home carefully - or rent for awhile. (An example of property tax disparity... If my house was 1/4 mile further east, I would pay $6,000 less / yr). Be sure to visit the assessors office BEFORE the realtor.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:53 AM

Thanks. Good advice. We don't have a business and are rather frugal, since we left OR so I could afford to stay at home with kids. I guess it ultimately depends on what job, if any he gets. We should know more in a month or 2, but I'm glad to hear WA has some positive. If DH gets the OR job, we'd almost have to live in OR, since the commute would be way too long, but if he got the WA job, we may have a choice of where to live.

I do have school age kids, so that's important, as is an affordable house.

Do you know if WA taxes food? MI doesn't, which makes it really nice.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 AM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
What is this about a county income tax in Mult. County? I remember there was one and it ended about 2 years ago...are you talking about that one, or a new one?

Old 03-06-2009, 02:04 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
WA will probably tax food soon. The current sales tax isn't generating enough revenue.

Frankly I don't think you can generalize about WA vs OR schools. I have a friend who moved within the state of WA. Her kids were in public schools until they moved to Vancouver. She said they were so bad she sent her kids to private schools. Most school's test scores are on line, do the research and form your own opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: