Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,561,293 times

Advertisements

I have to disagree with the simple solution of going outdoors and doing things to get rid of SAD. The Mayo Clinic describes the condition as a psychological one that can be like any other mental health problem. So it's sort of like saying that depression can be cured by doing happy things. It goes deeper than that.

My friend moved here from Florida. She loved it here but she was affected by SAD. She was a real outdoor person too. Meds and the special lights controlled the problem but she did not want to take pills for the rest of her life and so moved back to Florida.

It's different for different people. I love the gloom and feel awful when I am outside for longer than about 45 mintues in the sun. This is related to a chronic illness I have so there is no mystery. You have to take these things seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 12:21 PM
sav

62 posts, read 304,039 times
Ditto to what Minervah said above. I have always been an 'outdoorsy' person, and when we moved to Oregon (McMinnville) I commuted to work by jogging, 4 1/2 miles each way, 4 days per week, through the entire winters (except a couple of times when the parks were flooded and I couldn't pass). I still developing a ripping case of SAD that proved resistant to any treatment (I never tried medications but in hindsight I should have). If that kind of outdoors exercise does not 'cure' the problem I think it is pretty obvious that it is a biochemical problem. Just my two cents. I now live in Idaho where it is pretty sunny in the winter and I still jog to work all winter and that pesky little SAD problem totally disappeared when I left the Willamette Valley climate.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,207,798 times
the cases of both prior post seem pretty severe. I think when it was suggested going out and about, finding a hobby,etc; that was intended for someone without disorders requiring medical attention.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:12 PM

7,083 posts, read 12,089,564 times
I really think SAD and depression are differing disorders. There's something in the brain that needs that light, and being in the office all day...then going to work and home with the darkness...kind of alters things a bit. I know people that get out and exercise a lot, social to the max, no real issues...but still lacking in the good moods without those little lights. Doesn't really seem like a big deal to me to just have them on for breakfast, then you're good. I feel the same way about sunshine, enough bright sunny days my mood downs down a little till it's lifted by the rain or snow.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:51 PM

492 posts, read 668,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by We're All Aliens View Post
I am one of those that is relieved to have cloudy days! I am melaninly challenged and happy for a bit of reprieve from the sun.

While living in Honolulu for 7 years, almost everyday when I went outside I had to wear a wide brimmed hat, dark sunglasses, long sleeves and 50 + spf or else I would be burned to a crisp. Here I just throw on my coat and go.

Besides, overcast days make for better photography. The colors are richer and peoples faces are not shrouded in long shadows from the sun.
That's true. Colors tend to "pop" a lot more in overcast weather.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:44 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,285,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
That's true. Colors tend to "pop" a lot more in overcast weather.
I don't agree, we had one cloudy day recently, and I was looking at the landscape,and its all seemed dimmer and dull. Yesterday, the gorgeous Sonoran Desert land scape with its martian like mountain ranges (in Arizona) set against that deep blue sky, was so bright and delightfull to the eye, that I am questioning the statement you make. I am no photographer, but I don't want a picture of something in a grey and gloomy backdrop. Ill deal with the shadows by telling them to move to a different position. That just my opinion.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 AM

544 posts, read 1,477,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

My friend moved here from Florida. She loved it here but she was affected by SAD. She was a real outdoor person too. Meds and the special lights controlled the problem but she did not want to take pills for the rest of her life and so moved back to Florida.

It's different for different people. I love the gloom and feel awful when I am outside for longer than about 45 mintues in the sun. This is related to a chronic illness I have so there is no mystery. You have to take these things seriously.

Im currently in FL now and I get the same way when in the sun a bit. Not a ton is worse (maybe heartburn and a few others) than being in the sun when its glaring in your eyes when your walking the streets. Its pretty damn bad. I like more gloom and light up when its going to rain.
As far as meds go, I use to be on them but worked my way off them and I feel a lot better now. Less owned for sure. It feels like your owned by society when you take meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland